Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156]

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 191348 times)

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #2325 on: September 11, 2024, 11:26:35 pm »

Old artillery, Maxim MGs, trenches, frontlines that barely move at the cost of thousands of lives...

We're in WWI boys.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: September 12, 2024, 02:11:24 am »

Hopefully they don't try to go for the full WWI experience and start using poison gas.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: September 12, 2024, 05:00:36 am »

Since there are some very obvious downsides to using a drone like that (eg. ukrainians can literally stumble across the multi KM long cable and send their own drone down the line to kill the people that sent it) I can't imagine its a very common mod.
How far could you track a hair-thin cable using a drone's camera? Near impossible.

And, why would there be an operator at the cable's tether-point instead of a signal repeater?

This isn't welding metal onto a tank, this is the field testing of assembled components that they already know can work together. It will result in a manufactured weapon component because the ability to bypass jamming is gold.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: September 12, 2024, 06:55:50 am »

Why even bother with that, just cut the cable when you find it. Don't advanced jamming equipment if a pair of cutters does the job :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: September 12, 2024, 08:53:21 am »

I'd nearly suggested taking the principle of Chain Shot projectiles into a variation usable in modern(/recentish) firearms, for better anti-drone defensive fire (a bit more destructive than a 'net flinger' shotgun-like countermeasure. Might take some work, but may be compatible with a rifled muzzle.

If there's a trailing filament (which would be hard to see, of course), a chainshot projectile could more effectively sever that. Though requires 'aiming to miss', perhaps only under the assumption that there's a fibre to be severed, and leaves the gunman exposed.

...then I thought of Kite Fighting, and how maybe a friendly drone (perhaps under more resiliant LoS control) could trail a cutting (or at least entangling) line beneath it, giving a flexibility of interception.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: September 12, 2024, 02:01:01 pm »

It looks like they updated that Forbes article about unknown hardware on a captured Russian drone and back in January a Russian drone manufacturer was touting their new jam-proof drone. "When Kalashnikov subsidiary ZALA boasted that their new ‘Product 55’ quadcopter was proof against all forms of radio jamming, this appeared to point to some kind of autonomy similar to what the company had previously displayed. But a captured Russian FPV attack drone uses a very different and quite surprising technology to overcome radio interference: it has no radio but communicates with the operator via a fiber-optic cable spooled out as it flies."

...then I thought of Kite Fighting, and how maybe a friendly drone (perhaps under more resiliant LoS control) could trail a cutting (or at least entangling) line beneath it, giving a flexibility of interception.
There are tactics like that in use in the submersibles coldwar (against undersea network cables, telecom/power/sensor, like "dragging a fishing trawler's anchor" but militarized). But against an aerial drone, it might be too slow (2-3km/minute is "normal" drone speed).
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: September 18, 2024, 04:35:05 am »

Ukraine reports the succesful destruction of a Russian weapons depot storing missiles. The explosions and fire of the complex set fire to the town of Toropets (470km from the border with Ukraine). It's 11 thousand inhabitants have been evacuated.

Let this be a lesson: If you don't want your town to burn down, tell your government not to build a weapons depot next to it. There is a thing called collateral damage.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2024, 04:38:03 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: September 18, 2024, 08:49:19 am »

There's been multiple seismic detections from this strike, the largest of which was 3.2 on the Richter Scale. The Beirut Explosion of 2020, which was a kiloton-range blast, only hit 3.3. This indicates a massive quantity of munitions going up, since you aren't going to get one detonation of everything.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: September 18, 2024, 09:03:29 am »

Yes, very good and succesful attack. It also shows again that even without permission to use longe range Western weapons, Ukraine has it's own capabilities to strike deep into enemy territory.

Russians, live in fear!

Heh. 3.2 on the Richter. I wonder if the strike detonated nukes in underground silos. I think NK nuclear under the mountain tests also hit somewhere in the 3+ Richter range.
1000 kiloton, that's 50 Heroshima bombs (Fat Boy was 21 kt).

Perhaps we should check sattelite images to see if there's a large smoke plume, and see which way the wind blows. Ground level / underground nuclear detonations cause horrible fallout
« Last Edit: September 18, 2024, 09:22:50 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: September 18, 2024, 09:44:40 am »

Yes, very good and succesful attack. It also shows again that even without permission to use longe range Western weapons, Ukraine has it's own capabilities to strike deep into enemy territory.

Russians, live in fear!

Heh. 3.2 on the Richter. I wonder if the strike detonated nukes in underground silos. I think NK nuclear under the mountain tests also hit somewhere in the 3+ Richter range.
1000 kiloton, that's 50 Heroshima bombs (Fat Boy was 21 kt).

Perhaps we should check sattelite images to see if there's a large smoke plume, and see which way the wind blows. Ground level / underground nuclear detonations cause horrible fallout
Not sure where you got these numbers, but from what I can see, there's virtually no chance of any nuclear involvement (the size of the explosion is way too small), and nuclear bombs can't be detonated accidentally that way anyway.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: September 18, 2024, 09:44:52 am »

Kiloton range, not thousand kiloton. This absolutely was not nuclear. This would be in the same range as the first NK nuclear test, which was incredibly low yield and also in the kiloton range.

There is, or was, however, a plume of smoke that was visible in orbital imagery.

Generating an explosion of that maginitude with conventional explosives is very difficult unless you do it deliberately or have a single mass of explosive material that detonates by itself. Depot explosions tend to be a massive chain of blasts as material cooks off or sympathetically detonates with a delay. To get a blast that big (the equivalent of over two thousand of the biggest bomb that can be carried by an F-16 (the 2000 pound Mk 84, which carries 400 kg of HE filler)) means there must have been much much more going of in less synchronized fashion.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: September 18, 2024, 09:48:29 am »

Oh I misread then

Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156]