Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [34.07] Dirty sock woes  (Read 6499 times)

Tomb332

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: [34.07] Dirty sock woes
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 06:35:11 pm »

Or how about going for the dwarfy solution of making all bedroom furniture out of magma safe materials, then when a bedroom becomes too cluttered flush it with magma to remove all the pesky socks.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 06:45:07 pm »

Or how about going for the dwarfy solution of making all bedroom furniture out of magma safe materials, then when a bedroom becomes too cluttered flush it with magma to remove all the pesky socks.

I was pretty much going to advise this.

Of course, an all-nether cap bedroom set might be a little tough to handle.

You could also just reassign rooms so that they either take their socks with them to a small selection of magma-bunks, or else they move out for those 20 days long enough for the socks to go unclaimed, and you can just order them dumped and magma'd.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 06:50:40 pm »

You can build just nethercap beds, and then make everything else out of iron or magma safe stone.

Clever use of carved fortifications will let you flood an entire block of rooms with a single pump.

Downside to that is you might melt a lot of dwarves when cleaning up, and then you need to wait for the magma to clear. Refuse stockpile floor would probably work better, even though it would mean you can't use any decorative floor patterns. At least when doing that rooms would stand out very clearly due to the empty stockpile patten.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 01:26:41 am »

It never seemed to work right for me, either.  The clothing got moved to the dump but the ownership tag was never removed.  The result was that as soon as I tried to trade them to a caravan, the owners came to the depot and took them back home.

Temporarily move your garbage dump to the middle of the refuse pile and the clothing will be dumped and forbidden there and gently rot. Disappearing masterworks do not generate bad thoughts this way.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

humblegar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 04:56:42 am »

What if you use cleanowned -scattered with dfhack followed by autodump over magma or refuse pile?

edit: we need a !!science!! thread :p

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 06:19:21 am »

Owned items that never get removed are up there at #2 in the lagdeath top 10. #1 is still liquids that get smeared all over the damn fortress while my dedicated cleaners do nothing.
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

Ganthan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012, 07:55:18 am »

I haven't gotten to that point yet, but could you simply create a garbage dump over a refuse stockpile and mark slightly worn out clothing for dumping through the stocks screen?  This doesn't sound like it would be too much of a hassle unless owned items can't be dumped.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2012, 10:20:57 am »

I've noticed that dwarves will prefer to not drop clothes in the same tile as a piece of furniture for some reason, but sometimes they do that anyways. I've been observing my baron's family. Him and his wife both share the same room, and their clothes have been accumulating all over the floor now that the cabinets are full. There are about 10 items of clothing on the floor not on any furniture tiles, and 1 item of clothing on the same tile as a piece of furniture. There's a definite preference towards favoring empty spaces for clothes storage. Its not a sure thing by any means, but it might catch most of the old clothes and force them to rot away.

If a dwarf is moving to his room to store his tattered clothes, he won't drop them on his bed or furniture (although will fill the cabinet).  However, if the dwarf wakes up in bed, realizes his clothes suck, uses clairvoyance to detect an unclaimed sock somewhere, he'll claim that sock, but immediately drop his current sock where he is, and so you occasionally get socks on furniture.  At least that's what i suspect is happening.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2012, 10:52:45 am »

How long does it take for the ownership to clear if the bedroom is freed?

I'm thinking about trying to simply free and redesignate each bedroom every 5 years or so. Possibly the least click intensive option.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 11:02:22 am »

I tried out the empty refuse stockpile in rooms and it does work, unless the item happens to have reached a critical decay threshold while they were napping. It seems that every time a dwarf finishes his current job he will check his clothing, and if its too damaged at that point he simply tosses it away.

If that happens outside of the room it will get hauled to the room and just left on the floor (assuming cabinets are full) where it will rot away with the empty refuse stockpile. If it happens while the dwarf is sleeping, upon waking up the piece of clothing will be dropped, right onto the bed, and left there forever.

So this does work, but it won't catch every old sock. Seems to work for the vast majority of old clothing.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2012, 01:26:00 pm »

So, I decided to stop being a n00b and RTFM, and it turns out I was being a n00b and doing it wrong.

https://github.com/peterix/dfhack/blob/master/README.rst#cleanowned
cleanowned

Confiscates items owned by dwarfs. By default, owned food on the floor and rotten items are confistacted and dumped.
Options
all:    confiscate all owned items
scattered:    confiscated and dump all items scattered on the floor
x:    confiscate/dump items with wear level 'x' and more
X:    confiscate/dump items with wear level 'X' and more
dryrun:    a dry run. combine with other options to see what will happen without it actually happening.
Example:

cleanowned scattered X : This will confiscate rotten and dropped food, garbage on the floors and any worn items with 'X' damage and above.

You can't just use "cleanowned", you also need to type in the other stuff after that depending on what you want it to tidy up. While this isn't a perfect fix since its not an automatic thing, and you have to run it every few in game years, it should be a decent workaround.

Haven't tried this out personally yet, but I certainly will once I get a chance to play with my dorfs again.
Pages: 1 [2]