Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where is all my armour going?  (Read 1322 times)

elcr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Where is all my armour going?
« on: May 24, 2012, 06:37:38 am »

I ordered a full suit of iron armour for each of my planned fifty military dwarves. I used the manager to assign the jobs, as I usually do, so that I'd get the exact number of items made. The first three squads had their armour and were training happily. Just a moment ago, some migrants arrived, so I quickly assigned twenty of them to fill up the remaining two squads. I noticed they stopped gathering equipment pretty quickly, and when checking the stocks menu, discovered that there are significantly less iron armour items than I'm sure I ordered to be made (28/50 shirts, 26/50 greaves, 54/100 gauntlets etc). I'm 100% certain that I ordered the right amount, as I sat working out how much hematite I would need to mine to get exactly the number of items. To add to the mystery, some of the remaining items as well as those worn by the first few squads, are apparently 'showing some wear'. They've never been in real combat yet!

I have no idea why this is happening. My fortress' only entrance is a bridge over a volcano. There are some tunnels filled with magma running underneath the stockpiles (for the forges and such), but iron is magma safe. Besides, I don't think a few tiles of magma one level below would melt nearly half of my armour collection. I don't think it's kobolds stealing it. My three tile wide entrance has a dog penned in the middle of it, there are always dwarves running about the stockpiles and the entrance, and I doubt kobolds would steal several hundred pieces of armour in just a year.

What the hell is going on? Here's a full list of things that have gone missing:

22 mail shirts
24 greaves
21 helms
46 gauntlets
40 high boots
No shields (perhaps because they are made of copper as opposed to iron?)
No shortswords (these are iron, however)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 06:45:23 am by elcr »

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Where is all my armour going?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 06:39:40 am »

Do you have a dump sitting on a refuse stockpile?
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

elcr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 06:44:18 am »

Do you have a dump sitting on a refuse stockpile?
No. My dump is some open space that leads to an atom smasher. It's a few rooms away from the refuse stockpile.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 06:52:12 am »

'showing some wear'

That worries me.  Armor doesn't wear.  http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Wear
"Armor does not wear out, unless it's kept in a refuse stockpile. "

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 06:56:21 am »

^
this

you have bones or wool or something else enabled in your stockpile where you store your armor. It's a smallish bug and easily dealt with by making a seperate useful refuse stockpile

shields and swords are held instead of worn and are immune to this 'bug'
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

elcr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 06:56:34 am »

'showing some wear'

That worries me.  Armor doesn't wear.  http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Wear

Ah, is this a recent change? I've always only used two stockpiles in my entire fort; one for everything, and one for refuse. However, the 'everything' one would accept bones, shells, teeth, and horns, as those are actually useful. The 'refuse' one would accept the actually useless refuse. I guess storing my armour in the same stockpile as bones is what has done it then. Now I feel like a real idiot.

This is what happens when you don't read changelogs or the wiki. I'm sorry for wasting everyone's time.

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 06:59:03 am »

As a sidenote now that your mistery has been lifted: when in the military screen, press e-> P (thats SHIFT+p) and you can check each dwarfs individual equipment currently assigned to him including metal grade and quality. It'll make it easier for you to determine how many more suits of armor you'll need.
(a>b) ? false : true

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 07:25:26 am »

'showing some wear'

Ah, is this a recent change? I've always only used two stockpiles in my entire fort; one for everything, and one for refuse. However, the 'everything' one would accept bones, shells, teeth, and horns, as those are actually useful. The 'refuse' one would accept the actually useless refuse. I guess storing my armour in the same stockpile as bones is what has done it then. Now I feel like a real idiot.

This is what happens when you don't read changelogs or the wiki. I'm sorry for wasting everyone's time.

you also didn't read many of the threads here :p
and I don't think it was in the changelogs. It seems to be a by-product of clothing rotting in refuse piles but seems to affect anything worn. Like I said, seems like a small bug
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.