Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: There is a difference between difficult and just plain stupid.  (Read 6045 times)

xar23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: There is a difference between difficult and just plain stupid.
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 11:09:49 am »

Just my opinion, but I think if you come to the forums raging about some failing of the game itself, you should stay engaged and let everyone know what the real problem was when you figure it out. Even if the real problem turned out to be that you pulled a stupid. Especially if the real problem turned out to be that you pulled a stupid. We all have, trust me, there is nothing new about pulling a stupid in Dwarf Fortress. So, if you find out that it was something like, you destroyed all the paths to your booze or something, well, that may be embarrassing to admit, but then the rest of us don't have to waste our time puzzling over it anymore. And just FYI, you sound kind of silly when you say, "I don't find this game difficult, but here is this difficulty that I'm having that I need help with." Which is it? Again, no insult intended here because I (and I think most of us who play the game) have been in the fail-RAGE-whoops-it-was-all-my-fault situation before. ;)

/agree

Bilanthri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 11:26:30 am »

Just my opinion, but I think if you come to the forums raging about some failing of the game itself, you should stay engaged and let everyone know what the real problem was when you figure it out. Even if the real problem turned out to be that you pulled a stupid. Especially if the real problem turned out to be that you pulled a stupid. We all have, trust me, there is nothing new about pulling a stupid in Dwarf Fortress. So, if you find out that it was something like, you destroyed all the paths to your booze or something, well, that may be embarrassing to admit, but then the rest of us don't have to waste our time puzzling over it anymore. And just FYI, you sound kind of silly when you say, "I don't find this game difficult, but here is this difficulty that I'm having that I need help with." Which is it? Again, no insult intended here because I (and I think most of us who play the game) have been in the fail-RAGE-whoops-it-was-all-my-fault situation before. ;)

/agree

+1

I was trying to find the words to say this myself. Good on ya.

AleAndSteel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 11:31:21 am »

well, i actually had a similiar problem, where i was on a freezing biome, and i thought everything was going well, when suddenly my dwarves refused to pick up plants from the farm, and half refused to drink aswell. I watched a little bit, maybe it'll go away, i checked my pathways, all was accesible. Didn't go away, when my first dwarf died of dehydration i stopped. But that was in 34.06 or something, maybe that got fixed. Just wondering to see it mentioned in this version again. Perhaps we both did some small error that led to the end of our fortresses.

That was the safe that i sent toady aswell btw :D
http://uploading.com/files/5e3emb92/By%2Bthe%2Bnine%2Bseeds.7z/

(and sorry for the shitty hoster, back when i uploaded it there, that fucking "go premium or wait 1 million years" shit wasn't there. I'll upload it somewhere else if you want me to ^^)
http://kodblogblogkod.blogspot.co.uk/

"Urist? Urist, stop the wagon. Urist, stop now. URIST! STOP! STOP RIGHT NOW! YOUR DRIVING US INTO THE VOLCANO! URIST!!!!!!!!"

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 11:38:57 am »

+1 from me too.

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 11:56:41 am »

I had an entire storage area with empty barrels dedicated to drink storage, and path was fine, they run to the still, start, say there is no storage, run away.

I eventualy fixxed it. Almost lost the fortress.

Bilanthri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 12:12:54 pm »

What did you find was the solution?

Dehydrated dwarves are one of my Fort Fail pet peeves.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 01:38:34 pm »

So, you're not being difficult?
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2012, 01:45:02 pm »

Heh my only problem is when my manager can't get anything done and almost dies of thirst because he can't take a break from managing work orders and it takes longer and longer for him to do anything. I manually have to free the office and reassign to get him to drink ( or sleep or eat )
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2012, 01:48:47 pm »

imported booze was likely frozen as well
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2012, 01:55:39 pm »

oooh, I forgot that option
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2012, 02:02:40 pm »

well, i actually had a similiar problem, where i was on a freezing biome, and i thought everything was going well, when suddenly my dwarves refused to pick up plants from the farm, and half refused to drink aswell. I watched a little bit, maybe it'll go away, i checked my pathways, all was accesible. Didn't go away, when my first dwarf died of dehydration i stopped. But that was in 34.06 or something, maybe that got fixed. Just wondering to see it mentioned in this version again. Perhaps we both did some small error that led to the end of our fortresses.

That was the safe that i sent toady aswell btw :D
http://uploading.com/files/5e3emb92/By%2Bthe%2Bnine%2Bseeds.7z/

(and sorry for the shitty hoster, back when i uploaded it there, that fucking "go premium or wait 1 million years" shit wasn't there. I'll upload it somewhere else if you want me to ^^)

Your ramp leading into the main fortress was blocked by the wall that you had constructed at the top of the ramp.  If you order the wall tile at the top of the U shape deconstructed, everyone can move freely again.

This is a good place to upload files: http://dffd.wimbli.com/index.php
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2012, 02:42:00 pm »

I had an entire storage area with empty barrels dedicated to drink storage, and path was fine, they run to the still, start, say there is no storage, run away.

I eventualy fixxed it. Almost lost the fortress.
... cancels Brew Drink: Needs empty food storage item.

This message appears when there is no container available for the booze.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2012, 03:31:48 pm »

^this

please next time give all info that might even be slightly but highly doubtly related to the problem

"My dwarfs don't brew" is a broad option

"my dwarfs don't brew even though x, x, x, x, x, x and x, and I get the message x" would have solved your problem in the first reply.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 [2]