Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven psychology  (Read 899 times)

Captain_Action

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven psychology
« on: August 17, 2006, 03:10:00 pm »

Recently my wood choppin' dwarf got more than he expected while taking his usual after sleep drink. In this case a cave crocodile. After the VERY short fight(2 hits, dwarve axe hitting the croc, the croc hitting the floor), the dwarf was at near tantrum happiness levels. Looking at his recent memories I notice that "was attacked recently" was added.

But where is the memory of the victory? The dwarves got 10 meat from the dead cave crocodile, so it wasn't an wuss monster. Do dwarves feel nothing from slaying foes?

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven psychology
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 03:37:00 pm »

Well, I know my military dwarf got really happy after killing a raccoon, but I would guess it'd be different if the raccoon had attacked him.

Or maybe it's just that soldiers like violence and regular dwarves don't?

Still, I agree that that should be fixed - to be unhappy about cutting a monster into pieces with an axe? How very undwarven like.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Dwarven psychology
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 02:11:00 am »

He he he...  right now, only soldiers, certain nobles...  and apparently, looking at the code, children and babies (probably put in as a joke to myself) can take joy in the slaughter.  I might have had a different view of dwarves at the time.  Now they are confirmed to drown innocent merchants and butcher puppies and so on.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!