Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military Mode  (Read 1269 times)

SmittySmitha

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Prepare for battle
    • View Profile
Military Mode
« on: May 21, 2012, 08:23:57 pm »

I'm not 100% sure how all of the civilizations' battles and wars actually happen in the game, but I think it would be quite fun if there was a mode, or even a feature in adventure mode, where your character is in the military of a civilization and participates in some of the bloody battles.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Military Mode
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 08:39:09 pm »

This is something that is planned to be in the game eventually, in the form of the Army Arc.

You can look it up in the old devpages as the following:

ARMY ARC: You should be able to control patrols and then armies in dwarf mode. The adventurer should be able to both go with and command armies. In dwarf mode, you should have the option to control your individual patrol members as you would in adventure mode. Entities should war with each other from bandit and monster raids to full fledged wars. Upset entities could patrol near their sites, leading to new wilderness encounters etc.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Military Mode
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 08:48:40 pm »

Dangit, ninja'd.

This needs to wait until A. wars continue to go on after worldgen and B. adventurers can take various roles in the world. Once that happens, it'd be neat. Probably the neatest thing that comes to mind immediately is what happens when you disobey your CO. You'd probably be punished, but what if you were already a hero before enlisting/being drafted? You'd probably trigger a big mutiny (or whatever they call it in the army), and might be suddenly commanding your own group of soldiers. So much possible fun...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.