Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: EU3 Colony Naming  (Read 5428 times)

Grantyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
EU3 Colony Naming
« on: April 12, 2012, 10:26:52 am »

Hey! I've been playing EU3 for awhile, and I really like it, but one thing that constantly ruins the immersion is settling the new world, and having very English-sounding provinces ruled by the king of Greece, or, as is my current case, the emperor of Brittany. Could someone with some knowledge of Greek or French make a stock list of province names I could use to make my games feel more authentic?

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: EU3 Colony Naming
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 10:28:08 am »

Miscmods. It addresses this issue. Well worth it, the main mod I use.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?528878-MiscMods-Alternate-scenarios!-Dynamic-colonies!

On a side note: Did Brittany speak French? I assumed it was some kind of Breton Celtic thing.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 10:36:02 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 10:44:06 am »

Hey! I've been playing EU3 for awhile, and I really like it, but one thing that constantly ruins the immersion is settling the new world, and having very English-sounding provinces ruled by the king of Greece, or, as is my current case, the emperor of Brittany.

The provinces in the new world all have native names.  They only sound English to you because they were adopted by English speaking colonists.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 10:49:32 am »

Huh. The alternate colony thing is awesome, but it'd break export compatibility in a big way. And I'm kinda fond of doing The Big Game (CK straight through to HoI).

I like that "Dark Europe" scenario, reminds me of the old Fantasia scenario for EU2. Fun MP action there.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 10:52:47 am »

Dark Europe brings out the horrible perfectionist side of me.  I obsess over keeping every single one of those dirty other cultures from getting a single colony on the continent.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 10:58:07 am »

My room-mate managed to get it working with the EU3 -> Victoria 2 exporter rather easily after a few tweaks to the code. I might be able to convince him to upload a patch. 

Why start at CK? Go from EU: Rome to CK to EU3 to VK2 to HOI, all while playing something like Rome, Egypt or a Celtic country.  :P
Shame there's no Paradox games that bridges the Dark Ages gap (maybe a mod?).  The mian problem I see with The Big Game is unless you switch countries each time you switch games there's a high chance you'll have already conqured the world by the end of EU3.

The Dark Europe map is rather interesting. There's this whole "minigame" for the Muslim colonists where they have to decide on what their Religion is going to be and how they should model their country.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 11:03:58 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 11:06:23 am »

I start at CK because EU: Rome makes baby Jesus cry. And I'm pretty sure it gives you cancer.  :P

A patch would be awesome.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 09:13:15 pm »

The main problem I see with The Big Game is unless you switch countries each time you switch games there's a high chance you'll have already conqured the world by the end of EU3

I know a few mods that make expansion a lot harder actually. I'm using a mod pack called Optimum Scholarum Cogitationis in which expansion is generally hard, especially when fighting the HRE. It takes about 150 years for a province to core without any help.

It also has that Colony renamer, only in event form. The only problem I have with it is that due to the excess amount of Colonial nations, its really hard to expand overseas, for AI especially.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 10:04:31 pm »

I just use Google translate to rename my provinces something appropriate, such as -insert King/general/explorer-'sland or some reference to the geographical region, in my nation's language.