Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 4 Thousand Kills - When Vampires lives for too long.  (Read 5565 times)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 4 Thousand Kills - When Vampires lives for too long.
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 02:23:41 pm »

We had an interesting vampire over in  the museum adventure succession game:

Teshil Despairdaub the cave fish man vampire.
He was born in the year 78, so he committed all those murders in under a thousand years. We don't know when he was turned into a vampire. He happened to live in the keep that we had chosen as the site for our museum (as the lawgiver). The notable kills include one of our adventurers. He was killed after this screenshot was made.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 07:43:51 pm »

That's one hell of a vampire
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 07:52:06 pm »

I like how he comes from "Dinnerwandered". 

I guess that shoots a hole in my theory that they can't get more than 12 kills per year, based upon only getting one action per month, unless that vampire went on some Tholtig Cryptbrain-style siege warfare where Teshil single-handedly stopped whole armies in worldgen.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

DanteThanatos

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:hollow eyes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 09:09:05 am »

"Dinnerwandered"
hehehe

Btw...do vampires feed on Cattle/Tamed Animals?
They seem only to feed on inteligent life.([CAN LEARN] tagged ?)

Azhtabak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 09:52:44 am »

I don't believe they do; though, I believe I recall reading an anecdote about someone who had a vampire feed on a pet in fortress mode, after it had been made unconscious by a FB syndrome.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2012, 12:55:38 pm »

In adventurer mode, you can feed on anything with blood, but they have to be unconscious for it to work (so the typical method is to strangle something until it passes out, and then feed). 

In fortress mode, this is much more difficult, however, as most animals don't sleep, so you have to find alternate ways to knock animals unconscious, such as hitting them with cave-in dust or a syndrome.

If you could hypothetically have a "vampire fortress" where you spread around a syndrome that causes unconsciousness, and led animals through it to make them all unconscious, though, you could leave all those animals around unconscious in order to let your vampire dwarves feed on cattle.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2012, 02:39:24 pm »

i had a vampire/necromancer dwarf once who only killed ~4300  but even more remarkable, he was king of his civilisation 3 times (and battled / fleed from an other vampire each time, then after the 4th battle he killed it :D)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Alidus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2012, 07:53:37 am »

I have a 9000 year old vampire king at the moment with 18097 kills, which is actually quite bad going for how long he's been alive, given that another one managed to amass 919 in only 20 years. More interestingly, I also have a 9500 year vampire queen with _no_ kills. Getting vampires with obscene kill lists is actually pretty straightforward if you generate a long history; if one makes it to king, they can't be removed even when they're discovered unless a megabeast comes along and eats them, so they'll just sit there amassing kills. Generals flee like other vampires once they're discovered though.

Maybe he spent some time as a lever puller or invincible fortress keeper. Heheh.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2012, 08:11:14 am »

I've had more than a few with 10000+ kills, using only a 500-year history. In some cases, they've actually markededly changed the demographics of the town they're infesting (like turning a human town into a primarily dwarven settlement after slaughtering so many thousands of humans and elves).

Pretty sure I've also had vampires rack up a couple thousand unnamed kills in a town in under 20 years before. I'll have to break out LegendsViewer and take a look back.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 [2]