Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Procedurally generated titles of nobles - I'm impressed  (Read 1624 times)

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
Procedurally generated titles of nobles - I'm impressed
« on: April 16, 2012, 03:52:54 am »

Created a small mod for myself, which features 3 civilizations of stock beastmen, birdmen and lizardmen that build cities, wage war on dwarves and use picks and trap components as weapons (hopefully, just testing it). All these have a social structure similar to dwarves defined, but the positions are variable.

Now, what's really cool is that I went adventuring into a Swanman town. It turns out, all their nobles seem to be named after the sky or flying. I've so far met the High Sky, the First Flier, the Sacred Cloud and the Holy Heaven, which are extraordinarily fitting titles for creatures of the sky.

Their religion is defined as
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and names as
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
so I don't think that caused it. Was the game able to infer from the creature's flying ability that they should have nobles named like this, or is it a fluke?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 03:55:59 am by Hotaru »
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: Procedurally generated titles of nobles - I'm impressed
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 07:47:05 am »

Possibly a fluke. Those are also the priests.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 10:20:41 am »

Perhaps the civ is coincidentally dedicated to a deity of lightning, which is causing heaven and sky associations among nobles.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 11:47:19 am »

Those SYMBOL:WAR things are just how they name wars.  It has no effect on the rest, which is why you had to give an instruction on how to name roads, as well.

And yes, priests will be named from a selection of "sky" related terms if their sphere has to do with the sky somehow, and "lightning" probably just uses the "sky" category because Toady probably didn't want to make new categories for every single sphere and go through a few thousand dictionary terms for each of them.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Hylas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 09:57:07 am »

DF does seem to scan the creature tokens when matching creatures with gods in the case of pantheon gods that are "generally represented as" an animal rather than a human/dwarf. An olm god, for instance, will likely have the caverns and water spheres, and a hoary marmot or mountain goat god will likely be associated with mountains. It is possible that, since most of the gods of the swanman civ would be generally represented as swanmen, and swanmen have [FLIER], they might have more than the usual sky related gods.
That is all vague supposition, but I'll try my hand at some !!THEOLOGY!! later (i.e., make some animal civs with pantheon religion and see what spheres they get)