Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: How would DF work as a MMO?  (Read 9607 times)

Hyperion2010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How would DF work as a MMO?
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2007, 10:34:00 pm »

Hehe, once things get far enough along I can see where the differnt planes idea could come in handy.  Generate a big huge world and let people start digging their forts.  Unfortunately there would have to be eviction and closing for fort gates when the player quit and time might have to go slower.  Not really that practical given how things currently work unless fortresses were all succession :x

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
Re: How would DF work as a MMO?
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2007, 02:17:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Devastator:
<STRONG>Ouch, not feeling the love.

Then again, I would have to agree..  I haven't seen anything really attractive about MMOs, simply because they have in common two things:

One.  What you get does not depend on how the larger organization, (game, fort, team, etc) is running,

And two, it's about what you have, not how you use it that counts.  The first thing to think about before any kind of multiplayer DF, is how can we avoid levelling, and how can we force co-operation and competition?

[ October 23, 2007: Message edited by: Devastator ]</STRONG>

Apparently the early level-cap of GuildWars helps give noobs a go. Even a lvl 15/20 character with no elite skills can get by, although with a little challenge. That game is meant to be about skills and how you use them rather than levels or items. But then again, many of the long-term players exploit minor mechanics to kill each other in PvP in a few hits. However, this is still an example of player skill over playing time. Perhaps a DF MMO has similar character development limits (and yeah, I reckon if you were a single Dwarf carving out a fortress you could powerlevel any particular skill you'd like easily enough. The amoung of time you'd spend level up would be a small proportion of the time spent playing altogheter).

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]