Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Homosexual Dwarves  (Read 31662 times)

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Homosexual Dwarves
« Reply #105 on: April 09, 2012, 06:33:20 pm »

Not to put too fine a point on it, but if you're hoping that Toady will censor DF's modeling of sexuality re: preferences/shapes you are very much in line for disappointment. Sorry, it's just not how the great Toady One operates.

And at this point allow me to say:

If you are so homophobic that pixelated ASCII gay relationships bother you... It's OK to be Takei--stop loathing yourself!
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

thisisjimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 09, 2012, 07:26:28 pm »

It seems to me that OP made a very small and simple suggestion.  Somehow that turned into 8 pages of arguing between homophobes and those more tolerant.  Perhaps it was inevitable.

I weakly support this suggestion.  It would be easy for Toady to implement and it would add some colour and realism.  At the same, I personally never cared that much about things like relationships or personalities in DF.  I'm more interested in the strategic elements of gameplay.  So I wouldn't care strongly if Toady never implemented this.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 09, 2012, 09:08:38 pm »

I think it would be more acceptable to people if there was a tangible difference beyond not having kids. Having homophobic dwarves that get unhappy thoughts from seeing Urist McClothier in his leather thong would be neat, in a similar manner to the dwarves who hate nobles. Perhaps gay dwarves would only remain 'lovers' until a sympathizing dwarf was elected mayor, after which point they could marry, or the opposite would be true if a homophobic dwarf was elected... stuff like that. Most of the traits are intended to serve some purpose in the future, if they don't already, and the addition of more sounds totally fine, since this is really just a character trait. The idea of moral conflict is rather silly, since this game is played from the perspective of an amoral overseer who is presented with the various civilization ethics with more or less objectivity. We're told dwarves don't like eating elves, so we deal with it. Would we let them if they could? As sure as we let them eat kittens and puppies.

Dealing with ethics really should be more dynamic than it is now, and this would be a good start. More productive than debating its 'controversy' or whatever would be to discuss the effects it would have on the game.
« Reply #108 on: April 09, 2012, 11:01:38 pm »

(flaming removed)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 05:32:29 am by Toady One »

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #109 on: April 09, 2012, 11:15:18 pm »

jesus you are anally retentive. go pander your philosophical bullshit elsewhere, what is the meaning of life? can jesus microwave a pizzapocket to such a high temperature that he himself cannot eat it? fuck off

If you have to get this worked up over explaining to multiple people that no one cares about an issue, your premise is flawed.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]