Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dumbest Opponents  (Read 4947 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Dumbest Opponents
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2012, 09:23:31 pm »

Almost no games get stealth right.

The proper response is to have an elevated state of alert after an enemy has seen some evidence of a stealthy attacker, warn and stay with comrades, or at the least, stay in well-lit corners where it is harder to sneak up on them, and definitely not fall back into a set pattern of walking back and forth along your same predetermined guard route when the other guys who were looking over your route have already been found brutally murdered.

Even games like Thief didn't get some of those right, although they did have some neat tricks, like if they couldn't find you, they'd start probing the obvious nearby shadowy areas for you.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 09:19:25 pm »

The most idiotic enemies I have ever fought are boogeymen. They don't seem to understand  that it doesn't matter how far away from civilization, how deep in the dark of the night, or how much the outnumber my legendary axedwarf (who actually started as a hammerdwarf and got legendary in THAT before he started swinging an axe around), they aren't going to win. They're all either going to bleed to death from missing limbs or get bisected at the waist.

Yet they never go away.
This space for rent

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2012, 11:19:59 pm »

The most idiotic enemies I have ever fought are boogeymen. They don't seem to understand  that it doesn't matter how far away from civilization, how deep in the dark of the night, or how much the outnumber my legendary axedwarf (who actually started as a hammerdwarf and got legendary in THAT before he started swinging an axe around), they aren't going to win. They're all either going to bleed to death from missing limbs or get bisected at the waist.

Yet they never go away.

There like WW2 kamikazes, they cant win, but they can damage. They will eventually wear your axe down and eventually it'll break. Then what foo?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 01:08:25 pm »

I won't link it, but it's what TV Tropes would call "Spiteful A.I."

Of course, depending on what bogeymen actually are, which is somewhat murky, they may not actually be taking damage when you destroy a bogeyman, just being expelled back into their own dimension.  As such, suicide swarms are not so crazy an idea.

Of course, bogeymen also do things like attack your character when you are in a crowded marketplace filled with merchants who don't go inside and just sleep at their stalls, and then get swarmed by the merchants.

I would mention, however, I believe that night creatures should be changed.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2012, 09:04:47 am »

A bunch of dingoes gnawed on one of my adventurers until he died of thirst. Even though he killed some of them and occasionally got in a killing swing when he wasn't passed out from exhaustion.

...How do you get exhausted if you're passed out most of the time for several days?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2012, 10:01:36 am »

I had a necromancer who was on the roof of his tower; a roof that had no walls to prevent him from walking off, jump off the roof and destroy both of his legs trying to get to me. It was simple to walk up and stab him in the neck while he lay on the ground stunned.
Pages: 1 [2]