Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anybody ever tried a vampire-only fort?  (Read 857 times)

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Anybody ever tried a vampire-only fort?
« on: April 09, 2012, 12:22:09 am »

Has anybody tried something like this? Grow your fort until you get vampires, and then just stop producing food/booze/water until they die out. Only the vampires will remain. Then isolate all migrants and wait until they die out. It's like a vampire filter. The good thing about this is that vampires do not need food or water so you can completely neglect those industries. And of course vampires are excellent fighters that can live forever.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody ever tried a vampire-only fort?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 12:39:41 am »

It's been done, yes, but a better solution is to isolate migrants in a place with a well that a vampire has been tossed down. This will result in the water being laced with the vampire's blood, and any who drink that water will also drink vampire blood. Those who drink vampire blood become vampires, so through this means you can have a large population, all of whom are vampires.

There's several problems with vampires, though. The first, and most major, issue is that vampirism does not clear a dwarf's alcohol dependence, meaning that if they do not regularly imbibe alcohol they'll slow down and take breaks more often. Since vampires never get thirsty, they never imbibe alcohol, so eventually your vampiric fort's workforce will slow to a crawl, making them significantly less efficient than a living dwarf fortress's. The second issue is that vampires do not gain attributes, so unless thoroughly trained before choosing to walk the night, they may in fact be weaker, less agile, more fragile, etc., than a highly-trained living dwarf would be, even with the stat multipliers that come from vampirism.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody ever tried a vampire-only fort?
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 02:22:06 pm »

I inadvertently turned my fort into a vampire-only fort when a seige of zombies killed all my other dwarves.
It was only the one vampire, and I got bored and abandoned when he went on break.