Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some issues with Eggs  (Read 935 times)

slayorwrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some issues with Eggs
« on: April 08, 2012, 01:31:31 am »

Hi all, first time writing here, I've been playing DF for a while now, starting to get the basics down... mostly :D
I started a new fort a little while ago, and came into some issues, while all was going reasonably well (area ended up freezing from autumn to spring) what with plenty of alcohol and food, I got attacked a hell of alot earlier than usual by goblins and lost... 42 dwarves + some 10-20 caravan traders and guards to either goblins, dehydration or insanity (also mass murder). I was using eggs as the main source of food as plump helmets were kind of hard to come by so I was trying to keep up stock.

Upon losing the fortress to a massive downward spiral in the dining/meeting hall involving a craftsdwarf killing just about everyone left alive, and the last 2 dying of dehydration just meters from the supply area. Weirdest thing was towards the end no one would touch the alcohol supply, kept trying to go outside for water which was frozen solid, even dwarves that weren't injured... much. I tried to reclaim the fortress on next embark, I reclaimed everything upon entry and came again with geese etc for eggs for food.

Weirdest thing, no one would collect the eggs this time, I even disabled all other jobs than hauling food/animals to see if they'd pick things up but alas, after 5 hours, I had... 60+ babies running around all over. is this a bug or was there something I was supposed to do with the nest boxes? like... rebuild new ones? it was a goosesplosion!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Some issues with Eggs
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 01:46:21 am »

no clue what causes this, but ptw

nest boxes were not forbidden? don't know if that'd matter
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

slayorwrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 01:48:53 am »

nah nest boxes weren't forbidden, I think I got a bunch of egg hating dwarves lol, perhaps one of the previous stone detailers had engraved horror stories of diets of eggs and horrid miasma clouds from all the farting going on?

humblegar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 03:10:01 am »

Hi all, first time writing here, I've been playing DF for a while now, starting to get the basics down... mostly :D
I started a new fort a little while ago, and came into some issues, while all was going reasonably well (area ended up freezing from autumn to spring) what with plenty of alcohol and food, I got attacked a hell of alot earlier than usual by goblins and lost... 42 dwarves + some 10-20 caravan traders and guards to either goblins, dehydration or insanity (also mass murder). I was using eggs as the main source of food as plump helmets were kind of hard to come by so I was trying to keep up stock.

Upon losing the fortress to a massive downward spiral in the dining/meeting hall involving a craftsdwarf killing just about everyone left alive, and the last 2 dying of dehydration just meters from the supply area. Weirdest thing was towards the end no one would touch the alcohol supply, kept trying to go outside for water which was frozen solid, even dwarves that weren't injured... much. I tried to reclaim the fortress on next embark, I reclaimed everything upon entry and came again with geese etc for eggs for food.

Weirdest thing, no one would collect the eggs this time, I even disabled all other jobs than hauling food/animals to see if they'd pick things up but alas, after 5 hours, I had... 60+ babies running around all over. is this a bug or was there something I was supposed to do with the nest boxes? like... rebuild new ones? it was a goosesplosion!

I had this issue and built a separate food stockpile only for eggs next to the nest boxes and disabled eggs in all the other stockpiles, not sure if that helps but at least you can easily check if they are being gathered and you make sure one stockpile has room for eggs.

Then check the usual suspects, like dwarves having access to nest boxes and the stockpiles and so on. You can also check if your job/manager list is flooded with dump items or other jobs, perhaps your dwarves are just busy?

slayorwrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 03:39:54 am »

That's what I found weird, at first they were all (bar the miners) dumping stone which I was fine with, when I noticed a few babies running around I disabled stone hauling (they weren't hauling anything else except the odd body they came across) yet they just ignored the eggs. I let the save be and have started a new one with a different approach to the fortress now, mostly underground with only one way to get to sleeping quarters, meeting hall etc, it'll mean a longer walk for dwarves to get to the surface but next time an ambush happens I should be in a muuuch better position to defend, granted that I'm self sufficient enough in time!

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 07:47:07 am »

The dwarfs going for water may have been trying to give it to the injured. Having a ready source of indoor non-stagnant water is important, particularly if your biome freezes that much of the year.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 01:55:17 pm »

It sounds like you might have broken pathfinding, possibly by having a nonfunctional ramp or stair somewhere critical.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

slayorwrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 06:03:57 pm »

I thought something was going on, the area that housed the nest boxes was directly next to a food stockpile just inside the entrance to the fort, there was no other one as I'd removed them all. As for frozen water, I assume I have to keep digging down until I find some? or magma?

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 08:49:18 pm »

Is the reclaim bug fixed?  You know, the one where active tasks persist, so the eggs wouldn't be picked up because they're waiting for a dwarf that no longer exists to pick them up.

gentgeen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 10:29:31 pm »

I thought something was going on, the area that housed the nest boxes was directly next to a food stockpile just inside the entrance to the fort, there was no other one as I'd removed them all. As for frozen water, I assume I have to keep digging down until I find some? or magma?

Pumping magma up under your frozen water would work, as would digging down to a water-filled cavern. But all you need to do is get the surface water underground before it freezes each year. Once underground (into a reservoir or something) it won't freeze.