Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dealing with the caged beasts  (Read 1848 times)

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
dealing with the caged beasts
« on: April 08, 2012, 02:34:04 am »

Ok, so my main line of defence for  my fortress at the moment is cage traps... working great so far. I've got in excess of about 30 prisoners.

What I tried to do to dispose of them was to throw them in a room with a few traps and let them die... Worked out great... NOT! 25 pages of fight reports, and they did not take a single hit from my weapon traps. So I threw some archers around the outside of the room... One of the 3 got hit in the foot...

So I decided I'd send in my military of 20 dwarves, all in full iron armour... easy job to finish them off... 20 on 3... nope! 5 of them ended up in the hospital, and 2 dead, whilst one of them still managed to get away unharmed, and got caught in another cage trap!

So, how do i strip these bastards of their armour... I have been told many times to strip them, but I don't know how to... it can't be that hard can it? Save my military heavy losses from a couple of useless goblins
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
Re: dealing with the caged beasts
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 02:51:56 am »

I believe you can strip them by using a designated dump ([d][d]) and then undumping the actual cage. Dwarves will run in and grab the gear off the gobbo and leave 'em stark naked and ready for slaughter.
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 03:04:07 am »

I believe you can strip them by using a designated dump ([d][d]) and then undumping the actual cage. Dwarves will run in and grab the gear off the gobbo and leave 'em stark naked and ready for slaughter.

d-b-d then d-b-c then undump. 

People often forget d-b-c, your dwarves won't touch the equipment until you claim it.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 03:28:33 am »

set up an animal stockpile
use d b d on the stockpile when it's full of caged animals
then go to each cage using k and remove the dump tag (d)
this will leave the contents of the cage for dumping, bar the animal inside and the cage.
once they've got around to dumping all the equipment you can throw the naked gobo's in a pit with your recruit axedwarfs.
you can also go to the dump site and reclaim all that dumped stuff and re-use it.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 04:39:10 am »

What I tried to do to dispose of them was to throw them in a room with a few traps and let them die... Worked out great... NOT! 25 pages of fight reports, and they did not take a single hit from my weapon traps. So I threw some archers around the outside of the room... One of the 3 got hit in the foot...

Oooh, goblin danger room! Don't forget that gobos gain experience too (I saw some regular goblin soldiers become weapon masters during long battles. They become quite tough critters.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 04:42:38 am »

And what did you put in the weapon traps? note that regular weapons in weapon traps are a little useless often. Serrated discs of any knd work a ton better. So much better in fact that I've stopped using them.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 05:58:26 am »

Yeah, i made iron trap components... serated disks etc... axeheads... you name it
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 10:19:47 am »

You can strip just the weapons off caged prisoners. Leave their armor on so your recruits can beat up on them for longer.

do mass dump and mass forbid on the cages
d-b-d,  d-b-f

Go to the stocks screen>weapons>
Claim all of the weapons with a D next to it.

Wait for your dwarfs to move the weapons to the garbage dump zone

Do a Mass Undump and mass claim on the cage stockpile again
d-b-D, d-b-c

Stil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 11:00:04 am »

Oooh, goblin danger room! Don't forget that gobos gain experience too (I saw some regular goblin soldiers become weapon masters during long battles. They become quite tough critters.

Came here to say that - it sounds as though you've trained em a wee bit already :(
"This in particular, simply because it's so siggable." Ironyowl

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 12:07:50 pm »

Danger room training goblins is actually feasible, providing you allow them to have a place to rest.