Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Economy question, and odd thing.  (Read 551 times)

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Economy question, and odd thing.
« on: April 08, 2012, 10:02:42 am »

Hi everyone.

I saw on the wiki that Dwarf Fortress used to have an economy. Will an economy be activated again in the future?

Also.

I have a dwarf whos right foot is "thirsty"... how does that work?

How do I upload pictures onto here, I took a screen shot and would like to show it to everyone.

Currently the guy is berserk and I gota kill him now. Sadly he is one of my sword dwarfs so this might be a problem.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Economy question, and odd thing.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 10:08:14 am »

"Thirsty" appears in a separate column, it's not related to the first column at all.

Economy as in, but badly broken.  No one could ever afford anything, and the nobles stole everything of value.  Tantrum spirals were common as poor dwarves slept in the dirt and ate raw plump helmets, leaving the masterful roasts and fine bedrooms to rot.  It'll be back when Toady figures out how to make it work.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 10:19:01 am »

"Thirsty" appears in a separate column, it's not related to the first column at all.

Economy as in, but badly broken.  No one could ever afford anything, and the nobles stole everything of value.  Tantrum spirals were common as poor dwarves slept in the dirt and ate raw plump helmets, leaving the masterful roasts and fine bedrooms to rot.  It'll be back when Toady figures out how to make it work.

How is that broken? It's a perfect picture of modern capitalism!
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 10:22:18 am »

in other words, it accurately reflected a feudal society!  YAY for spoiled nobles!

I solved it by creating needless hauler jobs, and refusing to mint coins. This boosted the amount of currency, since the nobles would set high prices, but they would never exceed certain thresholds.

Another problem was that "money" didnt really exchange hands.  It was created spontaneously for labors, and then subtracted again back into the ether, or at least that was my experiences with it.  Coins would exchange hands, but then dwarves would spend all their time shuffling pilles of coins, instead of doing jobs they would get paid for.

Since I needed a constant supply of fresh labor money to keep the economy flowing, I created 8 stone stockpiles. 7 of them were totally full, and one was empty.  I set each one of them to take from another, in an infinite loop type circle.  Dwarves would shuffle stones around constantly. The distance traveled didnt matter on the hauler job pay, just that a job was completed.

Another stopgap measure was to make "Free" rooms. (basically an empty room with beds in it, with no room zone defined) This way dwarves could sleep in beds. This was less of a bad thought than sleeping in dirt, or on stone floors.

The constant spam of "Mayor has changed the price of goods!" "Baron has changed the price of goods!" "Mayor has changed the price of goods!"..... ad nauseum was irritating though. This happened incessantly when two or more nobles had identical likes.  The baron would make it more expensive than the mayor wanted to pay, presumably to hoarde that good all to himself, and the mayor would lower the price into his range so for unknown reasons. Then the two would quarrel over the price endlessly, causing alert spam.

I do miss making shops though.