Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Zombies vs Exotic Creatures  (Read 1446 times)

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
Zombies vs Exotic Creatures
« on: April 05, 2012, 07:30:55 pm »

My experience so far is that undead are way too powerful vs normal crittters.

Examples of fights I thought single undead would lose:

- A single undead goblin killed my giant cave spider.
 - Voracious cave crawler got instantly killed by a scratching partial human skeleton: basically all it had was a torso and a head. How is such a being combating something like the voracious cave crawler and killing it by scratching it in the brain?
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Zombies vs Exotic Creatures
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 07:34:35 pm »

If anything zombies aren't powerful enough.  These aren't just "eh, zombies" these are "motherfucking soil your pants and also soil your shoes undead monstrosities".  They don't compare to regular creatures, they're just a different brand of evil.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 07:37:11 pm »

If anything zombies aren't powerful enough.  These aren't just "eh, zombies" these are "motherfucking soil your pants and also soil your shoes undead monstrosities".  They don't compare to regular creatures, they're just a different brand of evil.

Zombies need to go ALOT faster, break down doors, and if possible, drag corpses into evil tiles for reanimation.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 07:39:10 pm »

They already break wooden furniture, any stronger might actually be too strong.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 07:39:27 pm »

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd rather see "hideous abominations from the depths of the earth, better left lost to time" being a wee bit stronger than the living dead, they are monsters, after all. Oh course both problems can be solved at the same time by simply... buffing everything that can kill you.

Don't piss off Mister Tibbles or he might just scatch your stomach open and feast on your flesh. That might be exaggerating just a smidge, but I'd rather not see a single dwarf in steel be a walking apocalypse either way.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 07:41:28 pm »

I think we have enough "MOOK" enemies already, with "boss" creatures being very random whether or not they are a laugh or a completely unfair fight for a military. Zombies have "MOOK" qualities written all over them.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 07:45:09 pm »

I've seen four carp take out a conga line of zombie badgers, with the loss of two carp. And sometimes the badgers died in the evil part of the pool they got washed into, and would reanimate, so it was really like twelve badgers vs. four carp.

I think your zombies just got lucky. I've also seen a two squad goblin ambush absolutely wipe the map clean of a huge undead siege (no necromancer was present to reanimate things, though) without any losses at all.

I agree with the ninjas.  Undead aren't that scary. But zombies and skeletons in most RPGs are pretty low level monsters.

xar23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 11:02:17 pm »

The crucial thing isn't that zombies are dangerous one at a time.  It's that they keep coming.  Zombies that can be isolated, killed and disposed of should be easy to kill.  Fighting them en masse in an open field without knowing where the necromancers are is... well... playing to their strengths.

If they're too easy, you should be dumber about fighting them   ;)

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 11:15:23 pm »

I just wish that if they're seperated from their head then that's the last of them, no more reanimating.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 11:28:21 pm »

There's also the noticeable lack of a option to actually destroy stuff. I mean dwarves can deconstruct stuff, eat food and make bones into statues but you cannot order them to hack something to dust. I hope ¤ Toady ¤ adds some kind of workshop or job that collects corpse parts for revival, or alternatively reanimation time of already defeated undead needs to go up. Some kind of variable should be in play here; for instance evil biomes could have the really insanely annoying persevering undead. Also some kind of variable affecting necromancers would be awesome, every necromancer shouldn't be equally powerful just like metals are different in usefulness and creatures having differentiating strength and functions.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 11:46:52 pm »

There's also the noticeable lack of a option to actually destroy stuff. I mean dwarves can deconstruct stuff, eat food and make bones into statues but you cannot order them to hack something to dust. I hope ¤ Toady ¤ adds some kind of workshop or job that collects corpse parts for revival, or alternatively reanimation time of already defeated undead needs to go up. Some kind of variable should be in play here; for instance evil biomes could have the really insanely annoying persevering undead. Also some kind of variable affecting necromancers would be awesome, every necromancer shouldn't be equally powerful just like metals are different in usefulness and creatures having differentiating strength and functions.

A great wizard has plauged our land! Go to there tower and slay Urist the Adamant Necromancer! Beware! He raises the dead before they drop!
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 01:05:58 am »

- A single undead goblin killed my giant cave spider.

The cave spider's main attack, a venom bite to the head, is ineffective against zombies. Venom doesn't hurt them, and the bites never sever the head.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.