Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: captured were beast?  (Read 3019 times)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
captured were beast?
« on: April 05, 2012, 01:26:06 am »

Got the announcement for "the human has come, a medium sized creature prone to great ambition."  I've seen transformed and un-transformed were beasts attack, but this guy was ambushing, i didn't get the announcement until he got caught in a random cage trap i had (no walls or pathing exploits to funnel him in).

So now he's sitting in my cage stockpile waiting for something to do.  I assume he's a were-beast.  I figure I'll let him out of his cage in a controlled environment and watch the transformation, and feed goblins and pets to him.  Any other uses I could have for him?  I'll see if he causes dwarves to be interrupted when he's not transformed, if so I'll find some way to put him on display where dwarves can see him (windows, not glass walls) and have him kill kittens until they're all hardened to tragedy.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: captured were beast?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 01:27:01 am »

Torture him, have disks cut off his limbs, he regrows, repeat.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 01:28:52 am »

I've always been curious about exactly what happens when a werebeast transforms while standing on a pressure plate.  I expect that a close would be sent 100 ticks after transformation, but as far as I know, it's never actually been tested.  Feel like testing?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 01:46:59 am »

ps its weresloth.  Which is pretty fucking epic, considering i've been using variations on sloth as screennames for over 10 years.  Words cannot express my happiness at this moment.

I got the announcement in blue that he had transformed.

I could definitely test to see if i can clone him.  that would be completely amazing.  As for pressure plates, i would have to work on the assumption that his size changes on transformation, and that i can set the pressure plate to a size between his human and were-sloth form.  Also, how do you measure ticks?  Also, I thought pressureplates sent single, instantaneous open/close messages (1 tick delay at most) to whatever they were linked to, do they have some kind of delay?  the only time i've used pressureplates extensively as been for regulating water levels.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 01:56:31 am »

I wasn't talking about deactivating the pressure plate based on size, but based on the fact that werebeasts in werebeast form seem to have the trapavoid tag.  At least, all of mine do.  So I think if you set the minimum weight lower than his human size, it would trigger while he was a human, and untrigger when he turned into a sloth twisted into humanoid form.  (Unrelated, but min size for werebeast forms seems to be 80k.)  I'm curious if a creature that gains the trapavoid tag while standing on a pressure plate will lead to that pressure plate deactivating.  All signs point to yes, but I've never actually had a chance to do the experiment myself.

The ticks don't really matter-- if it deactivates, it deactivates in 100 ticks.  I measure ticks for careful timing stuff by using the '.' key to step through the game frame by frame, but the experiment's not really about timing.  Pressure plates send instantaneous open signals, but don't send close signals until they've been deactivated for 100 ticks.

If so, you'd have a good way of blocking/permitting access only while transformed-- probably via a hatch over his head, possibly linked to a signal inverter, with a narrow pathway above him for your weresloths-to-be to wait :)

Congrats on your weresloth, btw :)
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 02:25:59 am »

you lost me at the end there.  I was thinking I'd just pit him on a 1x1 pressure plate linked to a door that I can observe, and then when he's a human again make him path over a cage again.

Also, lol, i've never pressed teh . button during pause to advance a tick.  I was interested because i've read splitting the tick and other threads.

yeah, the reason I often don't use pressure plates is that the delay on bridges, floodgates, and grates is 100 ticks, which matches the pressureplate off signal, but the 100 tick delay applies to the bridge both opening and closing, even though the plate delay is just on the off signal, so creature activating the plate at ticks 0-5 and stepping off the bridge would raise at tick 100, get the off signal at 105, lower at 200, and anything stepping onto the trap will be ignored until 200.  I guess this is a minor issue if the plate is going to frequently change states, but its enough of a potential issue to keep my goblin killing schemes manually activated.
Thoughts on water

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 03:02:13 am »

Use him to make all your dwarves weresloths!
They won't get any lazier.
This space for rent

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 03:04:45 am »

When they transform they'll tear eachother to shreds!

It'l be like if they were all women and had their periods at the SAME TIME...

I'm going to have nightmares now.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 03:17:51 am »

When they transform they'll tear eachother to shreds!

Has this been confirmed? I had a werepanther show up during a tower siege and chomp on some zombies, which re-reanimated (they were in an evil area) as werepanthers and spread the curse even further, and I don't think I saw them fighting with each other at all - they seemed to just be going after the non-cursed zombies. 'Course, that could be the zombie code more than the werebeast code, too.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

Syndic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 05:45:04 am »

Well, the wiki claims "Werebeasts of the same species will cooperate with each other and not normally fight, but those of different species will treat each other no differently than enemies."

so if all your dwarves are weresloths, you only have to worry about your pets and traders  8)

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 04:37:37 pm »

you lost me at the end there.  I was thinking I'd just pit him on a 1x1 pressure plate linked to a door that I can observe, and then when he's a human again make him path over a cage again.

Sorry, I don't always know when I'm giving too much info and when I'm giving too little, and tend to hit the worst possible balance :)  If you do things like you're describing, I'd love to hear the results.

It doesn't matter, but what I was talking about is something like this:

Code: [Select]

# h #
 ##^##  pit the weresloth here
 #####

elsewhere...

*          gear pretoggled, engaged by pressure plate above
 # %% #
 # %%^#  pressure plate linked to hatch
 #7#*##  gear disengaged by pressure plate above
 ###

When the werewolf transforms, it opens the hatch above him, allowing him to bite any poor civvie dwarves you've got loitering about.  When he turns back into a human, the hatch closes, hopefully breaking any ongoing grapples, and you can put more dwarves up above him, dwarves who will happily eat and sleep and drink without interruption in their tiny pre-curse chamber..

Also, lol, i've never pressed teh . button during pause to advance a tick.  I was interested because i've read splitting the tick and other threads.

yeah, the reason I often don't use pressure plates is that the delay on bridges, floodgates, and grates is 100 ticks, which matches the pressureplate off signal, but the 100 tick delay applies to the bridge both opening and closing, even though the plate delay is just on the off signal, so creature activating the plate at ticks 0-5 and stepping off the bridge would raise at tick 100, get the off signal at 105, lower at 200, and anything stepping onto the trap will be ignored until 200.  I guess this is a minor issue if the plate is going to frequently change states, but its enough of a potential issue to keep my goblin killing schemes manually activated.

It can be a pain in the butt.  Of course, if there wasn't that delay, your bridge would ignore the close signal.  Personally, I don't mess around with mechanics because it's practical, although it can be, but because it's challenging, and I just enjoy playing with that kind of stuff.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 06:59:33 pm »

I had a human show up like that before. It said he was friendly (if I remember correctly) and he then ran away, into the hills, never to return. Kinda too bad, though.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).