Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF: Map  (Read 1181 times)

Varjo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF: Map
« on: May 06, 2012, 03:29:45 pm »

Dwarf fortress: Would be great to see a map of the world. Same kind of like a adventurer world map. Just to show where you are.

UHaulDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • kiwisbybeat.com/minus
    • View Profile
Re: DF: Map
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 08:18:04 pm »

How about incomplete maps sold by merchants that show the parts of the world explored by that civ?
You would start with your own civ map, and if you gather other civs maps you can add to it.
Latter you can sell/give it back to a dwarf caravan to spread the updated map so that you can use it for future fortress.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human dwarven stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein Urist McStein

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 09:36:41 pm »

This could be useful once we are able to send out scouts, war parties, and adventurers.  A similar mechanic is used in Civilization to trade maps, full of just the features and cities that are known to the civ you're trading with.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Supersnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Woodcrafter Competant Leatherworker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 09:48:53 pm »

Could there be ways of altering and or distorting the map so those you sell too will encounter FUN. 

Also cave and dungeon maps would be a pretty good addition as well.
Personally, I like it because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
If murdering parents in front of their kids in the most gruesome manner possible is too much for you, you have not played Dwarf Fortress
You should be drowning babies by now, human.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 09:54:41 pm »

Well in my example of Civilization, it's possible to trade for a map and see a nice, wide, open space that you could plop down a city at, only to find once you get there that there is actually a hostile enemy in that area that you weren't warned about.  That's because the enemy wasn't there the last time the person who you traded with had seen that spot on the map.

I doubt that crossing out "here there be dragons" would be a possibility if we were to trade the maps to people, or if we could that it would actually be worthwhile since we wouldn't know the travelers' fates afterwards.  But !FUN! could be had anyways by getting a map that was incomplete since the people who sold you the map simply didn't KNOW what was in a certain area for whatever reason.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 01:42:59 am »

A map's sure to be necessary to the army arc, and might be necessary for the end of the caravan arc, to manage where your caravans are coming from. So this is definitely going to be in, and at exactly then.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 08:30:49 am »

A map's sure to be necessary to the army arc, and might be necessary for the end of the caravan arc, to manage where your caravans are coming from. So this is definitely going to be in, and at exactly then.

Yes, this.

Maps just don't have a use at the moment because if you have a mountain to your west and a nearby road from a trade path used by a human city to your east, the humans are as likely to come from the mountain they aren't supposed to be able to cross as the road when they come to trade.  You can't interact with the world in a meaningful way (even the diplomats that walk off the map are immediately erased), and you're stuck in place. 

When there's a reason to care, they'll appear in Fort mode
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare