Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How do you manage your fortress?  (Read 4115 times)

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you manage your fortress?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 12:15:17 pm »

I have a list (.txt) of labors and the number of dwarfs per labor saved right next to the DF .exe. If I play Dwarf Fortress, I also open the .txt. along with DT. As migrants come in, I look at the list of stuff I have / want and assign labors accordingly. I always start with the same list for every fort, but sometimes I'll get more or less of one labor or another (if there's no wood, I get fewer woodcutters etc.)
This takes about 40 dwarves (I cap pop. at 80 prevent FPS death). The rest go into military or "General Labor".

General Laborers do all the hauling and have every non-quality task that is likely to happen in the fort (milling, plant processing, masonry etc.) I have 1 mason's WS assigned to 1 skilled mason "q-P" the rest build walls and stuff. I limit the number of furnace operators I get to no more than 6, unlike some ppl here apparently. The reason is, is that I find 1 legendary worker has more productivity than many novices. Especially if those would be novices are hauling the legend's stuff off and bringing him supplies. Lately I've been experimenting with the cloth industry, and apply the same logic to plant processing, milling, weaving, dyeing etc. (some of which do have quality, but I didn't bother managing it before).

The main thing you want to avoid is Hauling locking your producers. If your woodcutter drags every log he cuts back to the stockpile before cutting another, then he will be very slow even if he is legendary.
There is no labor a dwarf cannot do, there is no dwarf that cannot be replaced. Try not to get too attached.

wanzerm23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • 6 plus - I play too many video games
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2012, 12:33:34 pm »

Poorly.  (That's how I manage.)

luisedgm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012, 12:34:32 pm »

I dont get how poeple lose by hunger/thirst

My recent fort have 22000 units of food and 9500 booze, i stopped all food production because there is no more space for food stockpiles, just make a farm early (bring 20-30 cave wheat and sweet pots seeds) and bring some chickens (blue peafowls are better) when you embark, i dont even fish/hunt/gather.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2012, 12:37:58 pm »

It used to bug me until I realized it is like real life: some of us have hidden talents/potential that never gets unlocked. So maybe Lars the Legendary Leatherworker is also a High Master Beekeeper... that used to bother me, but now I've just completely let go and relaxed about it. :)

Also I now base my industries on my migrants (as opposed to the other way around). If no Weaponsmiths show up, then I don't make weapons... if a Clothier shows up then I make clothes... and so forth... this has made the game much easier and more enjoyable for me. :)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 12:43:38 pm »

Also I now base my industries on my migrants (as opposed to the other way around). If no Weaponsmiths show up, then I don't make weapons... if a Clothier shows up then I make clothes... and so forth... this has made the game much easier and more enjoyable for me. :)

I'm sure it's also more enjoyable for the goblins, when they show up and find a bunch of well-dressed, unarmed dwarves. ;)
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2012, 12:47:00 pm »

I'm sure it's also more enjoyable for the goblins, when they show up and find a bunch of well-dressed, unarmed dwarves. ;)

From the (n)obles screen, you can assign a Broker. Then you can build a Trade Depot with b, D. Dwarves, Elves, and Humans will bring weapons on a yearly basis (and you can request more from the Mountainhomes). :)

Usually a weaponsmith shows up by year 2 or 3, I've never had it be a problem. :)

kronith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2012, 01:57:27 pm »

From the (n)obles screen, you can assign a Broker. Then you can build a Trade Depot with b, D. Dwarves, Elves, and Humans will bring weapons on a yearly basis (and you can request more from the Mountainhomes). :)

Usually a weaponsmith shows up by year 2 or 3, I've never had it be a problem. :)

Who wants to spend 3000 dorfbucks on a mediocre shortsword tho, and especially on a mediocre large one?

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2012, 02:28:09 pm »

Who wants to spend 3000 dorfbucks on a mediocre shortsword tho, and especially on a mediocre large one?

I think it's been a while since you bought weapons... short swords start at less than 100 dwarfbucks, even steel ones are 1,000 or less (unless decorated).

Anyway a Legendary Clothier will produce enough trade goods to easily buy lots of weapons, whereas  a Dabbling Weaponsmith will struggle to produce enough weapons to buy lots of cloth.

Ideally however I would have both a Clothier AND a Weaponsmith... I am not advocating not having a Weaponsmith, just saying that I prefer to get one via migrants or moods, as opposed to training/experience. :)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2012, 03:09:00 pm »

Diversify and use skilled labor. Have a few fishermen/hunters and an animal breeding industry to supplement your agriculture. You should also have your brewers essentially working non stop, it doesn't hurt to order more booze from the caravans. One, maybe two skilled farmers should be able to do the job having a bunch of unskilled farmers is a waste of resources and time. You also need to remember that you don't have enough bins pots or barrels, you think you do but you do not. In the way of workers you should also train them before they become of real use, set a few training workshops to have simple useless tasks on repeat and set them to be used by anyone who is less than proficient. If you have someone who is very skilled in a job you often need (carpenter, mason, grower) then remove their hauling labors no reason to have them doing what the garbage dwarves could.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2012, 03:17:26 pm »

The great thing about military fortresses, is that they let you focus on whatever you want to do. Sure there's the initial micro from every migrant wave, but after that - plain sailing.
Pages: 1 [2]