Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What is the bad part of vampires?  (Read 6794 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: What is the bad part of vampires?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 02:27:10 pm »

My main complaint about vampires is that they're too damn common.  At the moment in my fortresses it seems that about 1 in 20 immigrants is a vampire.  Every fortress is just about guaranteed to get multiple vampire immigrants, unless you keep your population cap really low.  This makes finding and killing or isolating the inevitable vampires a standard thing to do when setting up your fortress, along with other things like setting up farms and wells and a military.  IMHO vampires should be rare enough to be a surprise when they occur, rather than a routine thing every fortress has to deal with.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 02:35:27 pm »

My main complaint about vampires is that they're too damn common.  At the moment in my fortresses it seems that about 1 in 20 immigrants is a vampire.  Every fortress is just about guaranteed to get multiple vampire immigrants, unless you keep your population cap really low.  This makes finding and killing or isolating the inevitable vampires a standard thing to do when setting up your fortress, along with other things like setting up farms and wells and a military.  IMHO vampires should be rare enough to be a surprise when they occur, rather than a routine thing every fortress has to deal with.

Would like to second this - and likewise in adventure mode it's a little anticlimactic when in an older world every other shack is hiding a creature of the night that killed thousands. Who still fight like kittens, mind, unless they drop so much jewelry when losing a hand that time itself ends then and there.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Draximo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 06:12:30 am »

well couldn't i say, get a bunch of legendary warriors, seal them off in a vamp blood fountain room of some sort, and then feed them children through a hole above for sustenance, and then release them whenever something particularly badass comes your way?

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 06:47:08 am »

You can alter the frequency of vampires in world gen using advanced parameters. It's pretty easy. My current fortress hasn't seen a single vampire in any migration wave, and I now have so many dwarves they've stopped coming altogether. That's because I lowered the related parameter to I think 5 instead of the default which I believe is 20.
They're still out there in the world somewhere; I know this 'cos some of my world's deities have gotten curse happy. They just never showed up at Boltssaved.
I think that when I get around to genning a new world I may up the frequency a little, as going from 1-2 in every wave to none at all feels like I've done myself a disservice.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 06:59:14 am »

I have to agree that their continued alcohol dependancy makes them far less than useful, making them little more than parasitic nuisances.  The first vampire I got got walled up in a tiny office and was appointed manager.  After a while though, he became pretty useless at the job, taking forever to validate any work orders I sent through to him.  And since there were quite a few orders, it was slowing production in my fort down to less than a crawl.

The main use for them is to wall them up somewhere where they'll keep the fort going even if you get invaded by clowns.  Or you can dump them into the caverns or banish them outside and keep the fort sealed up, let seiges/megabeasts/titans/FBs take care of them.  The vampire might even be able to soften that stuff up for the rest of the dwarves before getting eliminated.

I also agree the frequency in migration is a bit high.  If you get one every wave or so, you need to take the time to quarnatine it before decideing what to do with the other immigrants.

Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 07:04:32 am »

Things they're good for off the top of my head:

Eternal bookkeeper
Manager
Pump operator
Lever flipper
Fort death insurance
Ocean diver
Any production job that doesn't require outside resources (farming, sand gathering, tree farm chopping, etc), provided you're willing to micromanage dumping their product to the other dwarves.
Ambush spotter (bonus points for walling them in with windows)
Decoration

If you don't have a use for an immortal, hungerless, thirstless dwarf that can't drown, what the hell game are you playing?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 10:22:04 am »

They should make it so vampires drink from blood barrels.
What other use could there possibly be for those useless things? Might as well put them to use.

Would also help one in spotting a vamp.  ;D

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

AranC23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2012, 11:21:06 am »

Things they're good for off the top of my head:

Eternal bookkeeper
Manager
Pump operator
Lever flipper
Fort death insurance
Ocean diver
Any production job that doesn't require outside resources (farming, sand gathering, tree farm chopping, etc), provided you're willing to micromanage dumping their product to the other dwarves.
Ambush spotter (bonus points for walling them in with windows)
Decoration

If you don't have a use for an immortal, hungerless, thirstless dwarf that can't drown, what the hell game are you playing?

You forgot the part where they slow down to the point they no longer do any labors fast enough to be of any use.
Mine seems to flip levers fast enough but could not manage or book keep well enough to be of any use at that.

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2012, 11:34:42 am »

Throw them off a tower, so they explode. wait for decay. make bolts out of their bones and shoot gobs with them: vampire gobs! let them go back to the gob fortress and see how long it takes until the gobs run out of blood.

... somehow I seriously doubt this would work. bc bolts =/= biting. But it was the first thing that came to mind.
Pages: 1 [2]