Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My expedition leader is a bad ass?  (Read 1338 times)

jonsnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My expedition leader is a bad ass?
« on: March 26, 2012, 01:19:59 am »

So I'm on year 3?  When the invasion comes...  I wasn't thinking anything of it, having gotten a million migrants I turned most into killing machines in the barracks.  Or so I thought.

30ish gobs come with silver spears and the like and quickly decapitate half of my 20ish soldiers.  My most seasoned group (the first 10) stayed alive a little longer, and took about half with them.  With about 15ish goblins running around killing all my precious people my expedition leader goes berserk and starts killing all the goblins...  Who'm was not part of the military...  who is freakishly strong and heals freakishly fast?  WTH?  This guy is a total bad ass.  He's wearing an almost full set of leopard armor and has no weapon, instead he kills them with his hands...  something highly armored/trained soldiers couldn't do.  Why didn't I train HIM? lol  I'm going to start looking at their personalities more this guy is crazy

jonsnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My expedition leader is a bad ass?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 01:23:58 am »

oh I might add that while he was fighting the first things to break were his fingers? lol

I haven't seen something so bad ass in a game before... forgive my excitement :)  What a pleasant surprise!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 01:30:18 am »

If he went berserk that's a real shame to be honest; a madman leading the tattered remains of the ffort who beats all who dare attack it into bloody mush with splint-fingered hands and rules with a gypsum cast-covered fist? What's not awesome about that?

THat was indeed worth sharing.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 01:42:35 am »

I disagree with the thread's title. I see nothing in the OP's account that would suggest that his expedition leader is an ill-behaved donkey.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 02:01:50 am »

I would not be that enthousiastic to see that a neglected dwarf reveal itself as being superdwarvenly powerfull in battle and has gone berzerk.

Because usually when an armed dwarf goes berzerk in a fortress, it's very bad news for any dwarf that happen to be near him.
And if such dwarf is able to take out a goblin army by himself and your current military is decimated, that event could be very well mean the end of your fortress once the berzerked superdwarf has no goblin around him to kill anymore, because he will then come for the surviving dwarves.

jonsnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 02:09:20 am »

Yup he decimated my fortress, before being laid to rest by a lowly farmer.  I think it's time to start a new game...  I just figured out you could train your pets and HOW lol... if only I could learn how to make an underground bee colony produce honey, or figure out how to use a mill!  Argghh :)

Also, what do you once you have a goblin in a cage trap?

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 02:15:49 am »

Yup he decimated my fortress, before being laid to rest by a lowly farmer.  I think it's time to start a new game...  I just figured out you could train your pets and HOW lol... if only I could learn how to make an underground bee colony produce honey, or figure out how to use a mill!  Argghh :)

Build the cage someplace, designate unforbid over it, designate dump over it, link it to a lever, station military near the cage and pull the lever. Bonus points if you go into the stock screen and cancel the dump on their armor so they live longer and give your dwarves more training.

humblegar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 04:14:59 am »

Build the cage someplace, designate unforbid over it, designate dump over it, link it to a lever, station military near the cage and pull the lever. Bonus points if you go into the stock screen and cancel the dump on their armor so they live longer and give your dwarves more training.

Much easier in the long run is http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.31:Mass_pitting. I just let the goblins keep their equipment until they are dead. Bonus points for much less clicking :p

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 05:07:31 am »

Perhaps berserking dwarves get some combat bonuses?

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 06:24:15 am »

Much easier in the long run is http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.31:Mass_pitting. I just let the goblins keep their equipment until they are dead. Bonus points for much less clicking :p
Seconded.

Mass pitting into a drowning chamber, arena or 12 z-level fall is much, much simpler. All the stages but one can be automated if you use stockpiles right. One for empty cages near the cage traps, one for full cages right where you drop them off. After you empty a cage, dwarves take it to the empty stockpile, then a mechanic loads it into a trap, once you catch something someone with animal hauling will take the prisoner to the execution chamber, and the only thing you need to do is designate the prisoner for pitting.
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham