Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventures in Clothing  (Read 643 times)

quintilius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adventures in Clothing
« on: March 25, 2012, 03:13:14 am »

Lot of children immediately getting unhappy 'embarassed to be uncovered' thought right out the bat - and since everyone else needs something too (and i wasnt ahead of the curve) - i couldnt churn out clothing fast enough.  One kid went all emo and died in a corner... another let out an unearthly howl, smashed the mayor's bed, murdered my legendary miner, and claimed a butcher shop where he promply made an artifact dwarf bone bracelet.  10 dwarves saw him do it (as did i) - i convicted him - but maybe he's immune from justice being a child - because now that he slaughtered someone he's happy and hanging out in the meeting hall.

I'm pretty much a clothing factory now - and it's piling up in the dwarves rooms - they claim it, take it to their room - dump it in a cabinet or leave it on the floor - and go claim another. Seems like they'll claim clothing right up to the point where they've run out of personal space.  I dont have any XXTunicXX stuff yet - so i dont know if they'll trash it or not - but as having xTunicx was making them upset, and upset dwarves end up in the butchershop with innocent bystanders, i'm thinking i'll keep the clothing supply rather topped off.

I like it - it's something else to manage - but i think it needs some fine tuning.  Maybe children will collect clothing but not get negative thoughts... that gives you a window to get them kitted out.  Also - i'm seeing dwarves racing for that clothes depot like it's a wedding dress sale at Filene's Basement - only to take the tunic and stuff it in a cabinet. Maybe there needs to be another stage of clothing rot... and they wont go to replace the thing they have until they're ready to toss what they're wearing in the refuse pile.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventures in Clothing
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 03:22:15 am »

that kid turned your legendary miner into a bracelet and smashed your mayor's bad?  Pretty badass.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 03:28:19 am »

In tantrum vulnerable forts, I keep my butchers' shops behind doors. That way when a fell dwarf claims it I can lock him in so he cant kill anyone.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 05:34:09 am »

Or use him against ghosts.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 07:26:54 am »

Are they actually WAREing the clothes I wonder?
I have not any such encounters since I am starting from scratch in the new version.

I think many of us have always had piles of clothes laying around. But the problem was they never put on the bloody things.,
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?