Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: research through moods  (Read 794 times)

aepurniet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
research through moods
« on: March 24, 2012, 05:54:05 am »

toady says he wont include a research mechanic in the final game. however he has a mechanic to create one-of objects through moods. i think these could be combined and provide a research mechanic, where everything is not available to build at the start. this would add some more rogue'iness to the game by having procedural items being generated. couple this with some procedural elements (ie, metals, stone, plants), and you have a mechanic that can add a lot more personalization to every game. the story of your fortress becomes much richer, as does the prestige of your fortress.

i would also make more moods available. kitchen (once we get a food rewrite), still, and smelter are some new ones that i think would work well. we could have some standard knowledge that dwarves do not know yet (sunberry booze, cakes), and then some procedural knowledge that only is specific to your fortress. the way animal taming is happening now, i think a lack of omniscient knowledge about every reaction and product would work well.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: research through moods
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 11:01:00 am »

The thing about "research" is that you start walking a line dangerously close to "tech trees", which many people are not going to really be happy with, especially if it comes through something random like a mood.  I've seen quite a few threads related to tech trees shot down quite vehemently.

Procedurally constructed reactions is a powerful mechanic, but requires actually crafting a system whereby such reactions can actually be made, and actually make sense - unless you procedurally are just crafting another reaction that makes a door, there needs to be new products that you will be able to craft.

That isn't to say it can't be done, but procedural reactions are something that takes a lot of thought to create.  If you would like, however, here is a thread on trying to craft a procedural system for materials, and see if maybe this is something close to what you were thinking of?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: research through moods
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 12:21:44 pm »

Frankly even if "Research" could happen through moods... I wouldn't want it to unless that one particular person is actually discovering a "secret" of arcane and mysterious origins.

Moods find the impossible.