Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newbie trying to reach magma  (Read 1214 times)

foxfire

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Newbie trying to reach magma
« on: March 21, 2012, 10:09:08 am »

I've been digging downwards to try to reach magma, and almost made it.  However, I opened up a cavern full of nasty enemies.  I was too slow in getting a hatch on the stairs and now I have 4 dwarves running around trying to haul stuff in this scary area!!  How do I tell them to stop trying to kill themselves?  Is there a way I can make them ignore the caverns or at least get them out so I can get a hatch on?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie trying to reach magma
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 10:16:24 am »

Ok first, we need to yell at your dwarves "It's an emergency! Drop everything you were doing and come to this area!" - set up a burro'w' around some safe zone and then go to the military screen's Alerts section. Set the civilian alert level to Active/Training and then tell the game to make civilians go to the burrow you just defined at that alert level (ask if I wasn't clear enough here). Once everyone is inside, then you can revert the alert level to Inactive.

In fact, best if you put that hatch first, then do this alert-burrow procedure to drag everyone in. Revert alert level once the hatch is set to locked.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 10:20:41 am »

forbid all items in the caves, so they stop hauling them. Also turn off automatic web collection for your weaver's workshop (<o>,<W> >> do not auto-collect webs)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

foxfire

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 08:59:15 am »

Ok, I managed to escape with one dead wardog and an injured dwarf.  Thank you so much, I panicked as I watched my farmers and masons walking around a fishman and elkbird infested level.  For future reference, is there an easy way to forbid all items in caves?

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 09:04:41 am »

currently no, all you really need to worry about in terms of cave jobs are fishing and web collection. dwarfs will fish and collect webs( if you have auto web collect on ) and fish if the designated fishing zone on the surface has no fish in it. To work past the fishing make a safe area for him to fish in the cave and set an activity zone. or set with labors "o"  and force fishing and drinking ONLY in the activity zones.
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 04:59:58 pm »

You don't need to set it to Active/Training. You can create a custom alert for easy access later should, say, a forgotten beast show up.

Typically, my alerts go like this.
"Inside Fort" with a burrow set so everyone stays inside the drawbridge.
"DEEP Inside Fort", not used as much since I've started using walls. I started using them when I had a wall-less moated fort, but some goblin bowmen started to pick off my dorfs. So I set a burrow so no dorf could go above ground.

Safe to say neither of my "Danger-level" alerts have burrows going into the caverns. Really, I shouldn't have to say that, but I didn't think ahead and have the entrance to the caverns within my fort. Would be better if have the entrance outside.

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.