Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fill in the gaps in my meager knowledge - Why do animals starve to death?  (Read 1201 times)

Destructicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there a labor I need to designate to prevent animals from starving to death?  Am I relying too much on plump helmets for food, so there's nothing the animals will eat?  Is an animals diet specified in the raws?

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Grazers need grass, Tigermen need meat.
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff

Grazing animals will eat by standing on tiles with grass or moss or other floor-covering grass-type plants.  The usual method to ensure they do not starve is to create a pasture zone somewhere with grass or cave moss and assign the animals to it.  If you don't do this, they will starve as animals aren't smart enough to seek out grass on their own and will only eat grass they happen to walk across randomly.

Allegedly, tame animals which are owned by a dwarf will sometimes be manually fed by that dwarf, but this shouldn't be relied on to keep them fed.

Only tame animals need to eat, wild animals of those same species do not need to eat.

Carnivores (dogs, cats, bears, etc) don't need to eat at the moment.  Neither do any of the standard domestic egg-laying animals.  Intelligent meat-eaters like tigermen on the other hand do need to eat, and drink.

Some grazers (such as elephants) are incapable of eating fast enough to avoid starving, even when standing on thick grass.  Yaks and water buffalos are about the largest grazing animals you can keep alive.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Destructicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pastures!  Excellent, that's what I missing.  Thank you.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pastures are kind of a pain-in-the-butt to micromanage. Personally what I do is place one or more Statues in grassy or mossy areas, and designate them as sculpture gardens.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

On pastures....only ever keep one breeding female available, slaughter the rest as soon as they are born. You will have to do MUCH less pasture swapping over the course of several years. Once you've got two or more breeding females, your animal populations explode and they'll be stripping a maximum size pasture in only a few months.

Plus you'll get spammed by messages of animals kicking the crap out of each other.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

xeniorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Plus you'll get spammed by messages of animals kicking the crap out of each other.

This... :D

Make sure not to cram up a lot of animals on the same pasture. They'll start to beat each other and will in time run out of grass / cave moss if it's inside. You can check the wiki for required pasture sizes per animal if you want to be sure.
This Wine tastes like schist!
Shut your mouth and admire some gneiss furniture.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

I refuse to keep gazers.  I BUY wool and cheese.  Yarn doesn't have a quality modifier.

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey
    • View Profile
    • My blog

Pandas also need bamboo, as it's the only thing they don't refuse to eat.