Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stockpiles  (Read 538 times)

wfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stockpiles
« on: March 20, 2012, 09:37:59 am »

So I have been wondering, is it better to have different stockpiles or just one big one that holds everything?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Stockpiles
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 09:39:26 am »

As always, depends on what you're doing.  I have one big furniture pile, but one different stockpile for each plant type.

I only use "omni-piles" for one purpose: Getting my wagon shit underground immediately in an evil biome.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 11:03:47 am »

Haven't done any actual ‼Science‼ on this, but my guess is separate stockpiles would be slightly more efficient, especially since you can decide what goods are stored near which workshops and the like.

Like GiH said, the only reason for a Great Pile O' All Things (that I can conceive of) is to get all that stuff out of the wagon.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 11:16:20 am »

I specifically use separate stockpiles for each plant type, booze, and one for meat in general, because of overflow.  When I get infinite strawberry explosion, I still want to stockpile my prickle berries and my booze.  If it's all the same pile, then you end up with a stockpile of only one plant after a while.  You have to separate them to ensure things don't become unbalanced.