Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pump not cleaning water?  (Read 838 times)

Virvatuli

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Pump not cleaning water?
« on: March 20, 2012, 10:04:58 am »

I built a cistern directly above my stagnant river to get a source of fresh water. I started to pump water from the river into the cistern, and to my surprise, the water I pumped up was also stagnant. The cistern has never had any water in it before. Is this perhaps due to the cistern being above the river, ie some of its tiles sharing x and y coordinates with tiles in the stagnant river, or shouldn't that matter? What else could have gone wrong?

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
Re: Pump not cleaning water?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 10:06:42 am »

I'm not an expert on the subject but maybe your cistern is dirty?
For me that's usually the problem :P

Virvatuli

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 10:09:39 am »

What do you mean by dirty? :) It was free from contaminents (no blood, mud etc.), it was empty as far as I could see. It was also constructed by stone blocks if that matters at all.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 10:10:49 am »

Something strange is going on with stagnant water in the latest release.  Tiles are becoming stagnant merely by being somewhat near stagnant water tiles on the same map.  It's been reported in the bug tracker:

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5232
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 10:12:37 am »

Try making a cistern away from the river and let us know what happens. Stagnant water is an area of ongoing research. I think your guess may be right, as the well is technically above a stagnant source.

Virvatuli

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 10:21:18 am »

Oh, then it's probably a bug. Just wanted it confirmed. Thanks Sphalerite for the link!