Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: iron ore ?  (Read 1305 times)

mathzip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
iron ore ?
« on: March 19, 2012, 02:59:55 am »

Hey,
I know i m supposed to look for iron ore in sedimentary layers bla bla bla... but i have never found any on any map without setting the mineral frequency to frequent.
I always take embark spots with lots of shallow and deep metals but only find tetrahedrite...
Am i not looking enough ?
Is frequent to find iron ore on the maps ?
Have i been just amazingly unlucky ?

zelpao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: iron ore ?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 04:21:28 am »

Sedimentary soil is hard to find.  IIRC, if you look for flux stone on embark, you may have a slightly larger chance to find one (make sure it shows pre-embark).  Also, don't use deep metals for finding iron.  The only way you'd find iron deep in the ground is from hematite, which also is found in sedimentary soils.  You should be looking for shallow metals with flux stone.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 04:28:06 am »

deep metals are usually gold, tetrahedrite or some of the 'misc' ones.

Places with deeper soil seem to offer better chances for sedimentary layers. Fiddling with the volcanism settings in world gen to decrease the percentage of high volcanism locations seems to help
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Faeryx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 05:35:37 am »

I'm having a similar problem, but at my sight all I have found so far is tetrahedrite, galena, native gold, and malachite. I haven't really explored much underground, but is there a good chance that I will be able to find any of the ores of iron?
Give them a nice trap gauntlet to run, maybe a "dodge-me" trap over a 10-z pit lined with menacing copper spikes, so they explode into greasy goblin gibs on impact and leave the lovely iron bits for your dwarves to collect at leisure.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 06:01:56 am »

I think it was mentioned earlier that iron ore is most common near the surface (shallow metals) and very rare deeper down.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 07:08:43 am »

DfHack, prospect at embark, is all you need to know.
That being said, I still agree that this deep/shallow metal system is just not usefull at all.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 07:52:34 am »

I think it was mentioned earlier that iron ore is most common near the surface (shallow metals) and very rare deeper down.
"Rare" is an understatement - it is impossible to find iron ore beneath the topmost stone layer, since the only layers that can contain iron ore (sedimentary and igneous extrusive) only appear at the surface.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 09:30:56 am »

I've had some marble layers quite deep with hematite

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 11:48:58 am »

I've had some marble layers quite deep with hematite
Then you've modded. Hematite normally doesn't occur in any layers except igneous extrusives and sedimentaries. Limonite and magnetite occur are both found only in sedimentary layers. Marble cannot have any iron ore without something having been modded.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!