Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sounds stupid, but how to stop a dwarf?  (Read 3265 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Sounds stupid, but how to stop a dwarf?
« on: March 20, 2012, 09:13:47 am »

I have a save with a dangerous giant spider in the way. Some dwarves shown as 'pick up equipments' in the job list just start feeding themselves to the spider. So I restored my last save, to test if there's a way to save them.

So I watched, a baby sitting ranger tried to pick her equipments but got webbed and killed. I restored the save again, added a large restricted traffic area around the spider (with a cost of 100), but that didn't stop the ranger. The third time, I quickly defined a burrow and assigned the ranger to it, still not working. The last time, I alerted the whole fortress before the ranger bumped into the spider, this time it worked, somewhat, though the spider caught up the ranger and killed her.

I wonder if there's a way to stop a dwarf immediately. Or, maybe more direct, how to forbid an area? It is too late to construct a wall now.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 09:16:35 am by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Sounds stupid, but how to stop a dwarf?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 09:15:52 am »

You could try deactivating the squad that's going for the equipment near the spider, forbid that equipment then reactivate them, they should go for different equipment then.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 09:16:12 am »

Forbid the item.
=Uncool-

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 09:18:11 am »

Hmm, sounds good.
But how can I tell which item they are picking? The map is huge you know.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 09:21:16 am »

Forbid ALL the things!
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 09:22:16 am »

Hmm, sounds good.
But how can I tell which item they are picking? The map is huge you know.
Forbid all items outside of your "safe zone". If you have a wall dividing you and the outside, forbid outside the wall; if you have unsafe caverns, forbid everything in the caverns, etc.
=Uncool-

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 09:25:20 am »

I know you can go into the job list and remove jobs from dwarves, but there are some jobs that can't be cancelled. Find the dwarf in question on the job list, and try to (r)emv.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 09:29:50 am »

to stop a dwarf you have to cancel the dwarf's job.  The most reliable way to cancel a job to pick up an item is to forbid the item in question.  You should familiarize yourself with the jobs (J) screen.  It lists all dwarves and their current job, and if possible, the target item of that job, which you can then zoom to.  There is an option here to remove (r) the dwarf from that job immediately (you can also do this from the units list iirc).  However, some jobs, such as military jobs, cannot be canceled.  To stop that dwarf you need to issue a move/station order to that dwarf.  If the dwarf is engaged in combat, the dwarf may not obey that order, instead you must deactivate that dwarf, however this will cause them to flee (and possibly drop their equipment ?).  A fleeing dwarf cannot be controlled, you can only hope he'll return to his burrow.

Regarding burrows, civilians will only take jobs for items that are also in the burrow.  However, civilians will path outside the burrow if it takes them to a job in another part of the burrow, if that is the shortest path.  Imagine a U shaped burrow with a dwarf at the right end and an item at the top on the left.  The dwarf will walk straight to the item.  However if you restrict the area outside the burrow and make entire U a high traffic zone, the dwarf will determine that following the high traffic zone is a better path than going into the restricted space.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 09:42:50 am »

Thank you friends. Although pickup equipment is not a job so it can't be removed.
Fortunately, I just found I have a bridge in the way, which was linked to a lever a while back. Lucky.

I think the forbid all items way should work, I'll try it when I want to cage the spider.

Rominus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 10:12:55 am »

In my experience, a Station order does not stop a Pickup Equipment job.  I had three soldiers in a row, while on an active Station order (already at the station, no less) decide it was time to run up the stairs to get equipment and meet the goblins.  Forbidding the item(s) seems like the way to go.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 11:26:35 am »

In my experience, a Station order does not stop a Pickup Equipment job.  I had three soldiers in a row, while on an active Station order (already at the station, no less) decide it was time to run up the stairs to get equipment and meet the goblins.  Forbidding the item(s) seems like the way to go.

that's all for the good too, otherwise your marksdwarfs would shoot the arrows they have and then just stand there, since they can't go 'pick up equipment'
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 12:26:25 pm »

I recommend putting doors in front of every entrance to the fort. They won't keep the Giant Spider out but they will stop your dwarves from coming to the spider if you lock them.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 12:35:02 pm »

yeah, this is correct.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku