Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FInding the world seed of a save file?  (Read 1101 times)

Myrmec

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing the [z]tock market
    • View Profile
FInding the world seed of a save file?
« on: March 17, 2012, 11:50:16 am »

Basically I want to play this map:  http://youtu.be/ITCbQQRJadc

But it appears to have been started using an older version incompatible with the current version.  (I assume this because it does not show up when I try to load it from inside the game.)

What I want to know is this:  Is there a way to find out what the seed used to generate this world is?    I want to try to recreate this world with the latest version of DF.

Thanks for any help guys!!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: FInding the world seed of a save file?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 11:52:51 am »

If the seed was from a version old enough for the save to not be compatible, then getting it wouldn't do you any good.  Even if you put the same seed in, you won't get the same world across versions that different.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Myrmec

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing the [z]tock market
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 09:43:55 am »

I had a feeling that may be the case, but I wanted to give it a whirl anyway in case the worldgen code had not been changed too much since December.

I'm guessing that there is no answer to my original question...   :-\

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 09:55:46 am »

Find the version of DF the game was saved in, open it in that version, and export the seed.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

telamon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 07:56:24 pm »

To clarify sphalerite's statement further, you need to have a copy of the world where no fortress or adventure game yet exists. Go into start playing and open up the world in legends mode. When it's done importing the world, you'll have a variety of options to export various things about the world. One of them, I forget which, will include the seed in a world parameters text file.
Playing DF on Windows 98 since.... ?
At 55 frames per minute.