Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Axe skills  (Read 764 times)

UHaulDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • kiwisbybeat.com/minus
    • View Profile
Axe skills
« on: March 04, 2012, 04:46:59 am »

Is a dwarf a better miner or chopping wood if they have an equal amount of skill in axe?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human dwarven stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein Urist McStein

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Axe skills
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 04:51:57 am »

No.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 07:01:27 am »

The proficiency in "Axe" or in-game term "Axedwarf" skill does not affect any non-combat skills, only when a dwarf is holding an axe, and uses it in battle.

The effectiveness of Mining is determined by a dwarf with a pick, who is not in the military, through mining.

The same goes for woodcutting, though the axedwarf skill would help a bit if the dwarf is attacked. Problem is, the 'invisible' uniform won't help, being unarmored and unshielded.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 03:56:50 pm »

However, the mining skill does, in fact, effect how effective dwarves are in combat with picks,.

UHaulDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • kiwisbybeat.com/minus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 04:39:35 am »

Thanks for the info.
On the subject of axes and there uses, does a steel axe and pick perform better then there copper equivalent? Or is that just for battle too?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human dwarven stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein Urist McStein

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 04:51:03 am »

It only affects combat. A "wooden training axe" is just as good as any other for woodcutting.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 07:05:21 am »

The same with picks. Material is irrelevant, unless you want to fight with your miners

UHaulDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • kiwisbybeat.com/minus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 03:46:59 am »

I had to try that the wooden training axe, and yea they work. Good to know, I already forgot, but I think the wooden axes were cheaper then the copper ones(in embark points).

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 05:43:18 am »

Or you could bring some logs, at least 2, and build a... carpenter? and make the axe(s) yourself.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 05:48:50 am »

Or if you're really cheap, use a log from the deconstucted wagon. Other logs (and hence axes) can be obtained by, y'know, cutting wood.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 04:43:32 pm »

Sometimes the logs from wagons can get lost though, so it wouldn't hurt to just bring two... Hundred logs.