Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I need to build stairs that burn away in lava, will Coke work?  (Read 4754 times)

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: I need to build stairs that burn away in lava, will Coke work?
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2012, 11:27:11 am »

This game is meant to have more than just magma causing temperature changes - nethercap trees, outside ambient temperature, anything that might go in in the future or will be modded in will change temperatures, and the game doesn't know what's in contact with what until it checks, and that's why everything gets checked periodically.

It's not the changes or the calculations that take up all the processor power in DF, it's looking at the data, trying to figure out what might need to have calculations that take up all the processor power.

Why couldn't the check be done as part of a magma flow or nethercap grow or season change action?

Magma sea is about 10 to 20 or 50% volume of typical map.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2012, 11:32:11 am »

1. Temperature changes are already done as part of magma flow.

2. To make a staircase collapse under magma, follow these steps:
- Build a staircase supported only by a "support" made of wood.
- Connect the staircase to the rest of the fort using grates and bridges, neither of which will provide support.
- Ensure that magma can flow onto the wood when it hits the stairs area.

The magma will lead to the rapid destruction of the support, collapsing the staircase in a cave-in. This will also cause cave-in dust and magma mist to explode from the stairwell, setting things on fire.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2012, 11:58:59 am »

Why couldn't the check be done as part of a magma flow or nethercap grow or season change action?

And what of all the things that could be modded to have strange temperature effects or reactions?

As Toady said with regards to syndromes and reactions, the reason only contaminants react is because otherwise, every time any creature walked from a floor made of one material to another, the game would have to check to see if their feet/hooves/boots material would react with the ground.

The portions of the game that are part of map data, like walls and ramps, are not checked for reactions because if they were, it would result in a need to check everything around for a reaction every time anything ever happened.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 [2]