Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Generic 'how does i tap volcano' Question  (Read 3422 times)

Portalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Generic 'how does i tap volcano' Question
« on: March 17, 2012, 07:44:05 pm »

Basically, the title. The only method I know of is to smooth + fortify the wall, on a lower level. But that always results in a death of a dwarf, plus you can't block the flow for further construction. (magmalandminesmagmalandminesmagmalandminesmagmalandmines)

How do you guys tap volcanoes?  (and can we get a guide up on the wiki? I'm kinda surprised there isn't.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic 'how does i tap volcano' Question
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 07:47:10 pm »

If you don't want to needlessly endanger your dwarves: dig out your magma plumbing, put all constructions in place (preferably including a linked floodgate so you can close it off later), dig it up to the very edge (two solid tiles between the tunnel and magma) of the top level of the magma in the volcano, carve fortifications in the second-last tile from the magma. Then send a dwarf up to the rim of the volcano to channel out the final tile, allowing magma to flow through the fortification and into your plumbing.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Portalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 07:50:56 pm »

So, wait, by rim, do you mean the VERY top of the volcano, or a z-level above the fortification?

SarZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 08:02:13 pm »

Basically, what he said is this: instead of digging out the last tile, or, like you said, carve a fortification in the last tile, you simply go 1 z-level up and CHANNEL the last tile. After that, simply place a floor on the channeled tile and you're safe again.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 08:45:07 pm »

I tend to use a two-level breach, with staircases to keep the breaching miner out of harm's way.  Haven't lost (or even had a close call with) a single dwarf so far.   :)  See sig link for details - but it's similar to those outlined above: dig out the under-floor plumbing first, then breach from above.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Slythe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 10:07:27 pm »

I tend to use a two-level breach, with staircases to keep the breaching miner out of harm's way.  Haven't lost (or even had a close call with) a single dwarf so far.   :)  See sig link for details - but it's similar to those outlined above: dig out the under-floor plumbing first, then breach from above.

I read your post in your sig link and I'm trying to visualize the process, but I must be missing something.  Immediately after breaching the wall to the magma, what if the dwarf paths down the same stairs the magma flows down in order to get to the next inlet?  Is that even possible, or does he avoid the magma either way?

Portalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 10:26:14 pm »

So, I built floodgates on the level of the reservoir, and then channeled the barrier on the level above it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 10:27:49 pm by Portalboat »

sirquote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 04:11:27 am »

I did this recently myself for the first time and found it to be way easier than I thought. To avoid needless loss of good miners I took a fresh migrant and gave him a pick dug a room near the volcano and channeled out a 1 tile wide trench from under the lip directly into the room, tapped into the lip itself and watched the lava river itself into my little room which I walled up and connected to my base.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 05:51:49 am »

I read your post in your sig link and I'm trying to visualize the process, but I must be missing something.  Immediately after breaching the wall to the magma, what if the dwarf paths down the same stairs the magma flows down in order to get to the next inlet?  Is that even possible, or does he avoid the magma either way?

don't connect them under there or at least make the paths longer than the area up. But I think the general idea is to create a spill area that has to be filled up before the magma starts flowing into the desired area, giving the person who carved the last tile time to escape.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 06:03:37 am »

You know, despite the fact that I've been using this method for a while, I've never actually thought about that.  None of my sacrificial dwarves have ever tried to path onto the lower level while/after breaching.  This is probably because the upper-level route is shorter - but I suppose if the design was altered so that the walls on the upper level were longer than the ones on the lower level, some hapless breaching dwarf might decide it's quicker to nip downstairs in front of the magma flow.

Which, to be honest, might work - as long as they can run faster than the magma, they'll still be able to get down, round and back up before it catches them.  :)

Good question though.  Never occurred to me.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 08:43:13 am »

I just carve a fortification into the obsidian surrounding the magma pipe.  I put the fortification in at a diagonal though, since that's supposed to slow down the flow of liquids.  It gives the carver enough time to run away.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath