Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't build magma pump stack without dwarves trapping themselves  (Read 723 times)

Ninja Kow

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Hello all,

I'm trying to build a magma pump stack to build some magma forges, and most of the ground work is laid out.  My stack is an alternating arrangement of these two floors:

Code: [Select]
=====  =====
=+++=  ==.==
==.==  ==+==
==+==  ==.==
==.==  =+++=
=====  =====
Where = is a wall, + is a floor, and . is a channel

These rooms shapes have been carved all the way down to the magma sea, and all walls constructed are made of magma-safe materials.  However, whenever I try to dig the channels in the rooms, my dwarves will trap themselves without fail every time.  I've tried constructing temporary floors, and I've tried knocking down walls and replacing them, but one dwarf will always trap himself on the far side.  Is there anything I can do about this?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 01:59:21 am by Ninja Kow »

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't build magma pump stack without dwarves trapping themselves
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 02:02:44 am »

Make the casing in this configuration or similar:

=====  =====
=+++=  ==.==
==.=+  ==+++
==+++  ==.=+
==.==  =+++=
=====  =====

Once the channels are dug, you can construct walls (which don't have to be magma- or even fire-safe, by the way; floors don't either, as constructions are completely impervious to temperature) to block off the reservoirs. Since dwarves will not construct on a diagonal, the masons won't trap themselves when they seal it off again, so all you have to worry about is their children deciding to be on the wrong side when their parent finishes the wall.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Ninja Kow

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 02:12:08 am »

Yeah, that looks similar to the building I'm doing, which I should have shown the hallways:

Code: [Select]
=======  =======
=+++===  ==.====
==.====  ==++++=
==+++X=  ==.==X=
==.====  =+++===
=======  =======

Thanks for the tip about constructions, that'll be a big help with saving my magma-safe rocks.  Really prompt answer, I'm impressed.  Gonna be working on that for a bit.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 04:15:31 pm »

The difference between what you have and what I'm saying you need is very important. So important that I've made it red so you can see it better:

=====  =====
=+++=  ==.==
==.=+  ==+++
==+++  ==.=+
==.==  =+++=
=====  =====

That single tile will allow access to the reservoirs, and when you wall it up again your dwarves won't trap themselves.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!