Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Farm plots/farmer  (Read 7131 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Farm plots/farmer
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 05:12:42 am »

There is no reason to ever fertilize.  Farm plots without fertilizer are infinite resources for absolutely free.  Money for nothing, as it were.

A single 5x5 plot running quarry bushes and plump helmets with a single farmer is enough to feed 50 dwarves if you really stretch it.  I tend to run a 5x5 underground and a 5x5 aboveground field for 80 dwarves with two planters very comfortably.

Well, a clothing industry can make some very good money, especially if you throw in dyes.  You can arrange to have a 2x 4x4's above ground right next to a 4x4 below ground by collapsing the ceiling over underground soil.  I can see a way to really make good use of fertilizer - dyes + rope weed 4 harvests per year.  Make emblems from dyes cloth, make clothing from dyed cloth.  Attach emblems to clothing, then decorate with dyed cloth.  Insane value, and well worth fertilizing for if you have the wood supply for it.  Not to mention... Toady is fixing clothing in the next release, it looks like!
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 07:26:55 am »

a 5x5 farm plot is enough for most fortresses if you have really skilled farmers.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2012, 09:31:32 am »

For above ground farms I usually make a 2x2 plot for each plant I expect to grow.  Underground is four 2x2 plots, two growing the sweet pods, quarry bushes, cave wheat, and plump helmets.  And the other two growing plump helmets and pigtails.  No dye crops grown.

If I'm doing a textile industry I'll make it five 2x2 plots for the rope reeds and two 2x4 plots for the pigtails/helmets.  With dye crops added.

Two farmers for basic food, three for textile.  And I don't have problems with that, except it takes a couple years for the thresher and miller to get up to speed.
Pages: 1 [2]