Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'm new. I can't find my picks and my dwarves are losing it.  (Read 351 times)

Cubemonkey

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Hello all.

I've got my first fortress going, and for some reason all of my picks are gone. I can't even look in the stocks screen to see where they are. The Weapons field is brown with a question mark next to it. I marked an area for digging, and for some reason my cook is digging there while my miners sit around. Labor preferences are all fine, I just only have two picks, and I don't know where they are. I don't know how to have the cook drop the pick for the miner to take, either.

Help?

Also, my big stockpile room is full of rock from digging it out. How can I get rid of this?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: I'm new. I can't find my picks and my dwarves are losing it.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 10:06:31 am »

you can really use the stocks screen untill a bookkeeper does an accurate count of all your stocks. If you disable the mining labor they will automatically bring it away and someone with the labor active without pick will come pick it up.

to get rid of the stones, either make a stone stockpile or use (i) to make a (g)arbage dump and have the stones dumped by using (d), (b), (d), Though you have to claim them back again later if you want to use them after dumping. Don't worry about the size of the garbage zone, it can hold infinite things.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 10:09:38 am by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: I'm new. I can't find my picks and my dwarves are losing it.
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 11:55:54 am »

@Cubemonkey- Ya might wanna get a copy of Therapist up and running alongside that active game.  If you use Therapist, the game still keeps its charm.  Its not a cheat.  Its a miracle app, once ya get 10+ dorfs rolling, you'll never go back to not using it.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=28829.0

In the essential apps, catagory.  Splintermind has a nice variation that shows the dorf attributes(agil, str, toughness) in addition to their work skills and persona traits.  Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.