Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

^

No, I listen to the dwarf fortress music.
- 12 (22.6%)
No, I've muted all sounds.
- 5 (9.4%)
Yes, I listen to music in the background.
- 16 (30.2%)
Yes, I listen to/watch/movies/tv series in the background.
- 11 (20.8%)
Yes, I let dwarf fortress run while watching youtube/movies/tv series/playing other games.
- 9 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Do you have anything in the background while playing dwarf fortress?  (Read 1738 times)

Tahlin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As the title suggests, I'm asking you all if you have anything in the background while playing dwarf fortress? And if so, What?
Personally, I'd go stark raving mad if I didn't have something in the background except the normal dwarf fortress music, I usually have a TV next to me with a movie on, Or just a movie in the background to dwarf fortress. I've also set the FPS really high, So I can't just watch a movie while waiting for something to happen.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Do you have anything in the background while playing dwarf fortress?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 04:20:28 pm »

Normally I run DF while doing something else, as most of my work consists of large designations, and there really isn't any point to sitting around watching it run.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 04:22:44 pm »

I often run forts in the background while browsing the forum and listening to music.  I only pull DF up when I'm actively controlling the game while it is paused.  I rarely actually watch what's going on, which is just as well, as I often have very laggy forts, anyway.

I frequently leave the game running when I go to sleep or just go watch TV, as well.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 04:25:01 pm »

Same here, usually i play DF while browsing the internet, good way to use my limited free time, and avoid getting bored from the sometime long "nothing to do but wait until those miners/carpenter/crafters are finished with their assignement" time.

dhoovr

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 04:28:10 pm »

Im all DF whenever I play. Only DF music, I actually can't stand playing it without the music or with any other kind of music. But because of this I often fall asleep while watching large designation or waiting for orders to be completed.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 04:31:17 pm »

When I'm playing an older version, I'm normally using SoundSense. With DFVD, it's either Dwarf Fortress' original music, or music that I have playing in another window. Most recently, that music has been religious chants.

I may want to start blasting some metal again, though. As said chants make every event that happens seem incredibly dramatic/depressing...

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 04:53:54 pm »

Yo dawg, I heard you like dwarf fortress so I ran dwarf fortress in the background of dwarf fortress so you can gen worlds while you fortress.

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 05:10:28 pm »

I think virtually anyone born after 1980 is pretty well conditioned to constant multitasking.  I can't play DF without having music, Netflix, or both going in the background.  Lately I've been running the more tolerable TED Talks or online Yale courses in the background so I can learn while I slaughter internet dragons.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

red_29A

• Bay Watcher
  • [DO_NOT_CULL]
    • View Profile
    • Nexus Page
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 09:39:55 pm »

Yo dawg, I heard you like dwarf fortress so I ran dwarf fortress in the background of dwarf fortress so you can gen worlds while you fortress.

Nice.

i always run winamp in the background, but the DF music is always in the playlist a few times ;)

Also, i really like my dwarfs so if the game is unpaused i'm totally into it. Not as much in a years old fort, but lately the sinister areas have been brutal. i'm too ocd to let them run around with out keeping an eye on them.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 10:12:33 pm »

I have real-life playing in the background when I play DF.  It's muted because I shut it out, in my mind.  Sometimes real-life gets through anyway, though.  :D  Thank goodness, or I would become melded to this chair I am sitting in, like those people on the news whose skin grows around toilet seats and whatnot.   :o
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Kaleb702 Games

• Bay Watcher
  • nearlyNonexistent
    • View Profile
    • My YYG Account
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 10:12:47 pm »

Soundsense!
Quote from: Rose Lalonde, Seer of Light
One simple word can so easily begin a story in a very thick book.