Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Most common loss of outposts?  (Read 1119 times)

Frankomatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Most common loss of outposts?
« on: August 13, 2006, 09:05:00 pm »

Just another little thread to catalogue your common fortress killers. Figure since I made a humorous adventurer death thread, might as well make a death-o-logue for these, too!

My number one killer, by far, is a HUGE wave of migrants that always decide to show up at the start of winter. The particular winter they show up varies, but they show up, eat all my food, and everyone goes insane and starts killing cats, which gets more people pissed... and you see where this is going.  ;)

How about the rest of you? Invasions? Floods? Stupidity?

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
Re: Most common loss of outposts?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 09:11:00 pm »

I wonder if it would be practical to include a(n optional) setting in the game which limits the maximum possible number of migrants to a flat percentage of your current population, with a minimum possible of one.

This would make things much, much easier, though, so it wouldn't be recommended for true hardcore players.  Maybe some kind of option during world generation or something to specify the difficulty of the game, which is saved to the world just in case this person proclaims their superiority from the rooftops?

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 09:19:00 pm »

...isn't there an option to 'remove' new immigrants via the workers menu?  I thought I saw it there, although I never tried it before...  it would make sense if the fortress could place certain limits on immigration, after all.

Although a radical anti-immigrant stance might have other costs...  if you reject some immigrants  and not others, those others might get depressed because the rejected ones were relatives or something and you broke up their family, or they might decide to leave, too.  Or the people you're removing could get offended and go berserk...  requiring you to pull out the Dwarven National Guard against fellow dwarves, which would in turn make everyone in your fortress unhappy, and cause some of them to go berserk...

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 09:24:00 pm »

For me? Snakemen. 'nuf said.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 09:32:00 pm »

Crash bugs for me.

I don't mind difficulty levels it makes more people enjoy themselves.  It could save the difficulty in the fortresses themselves so you have a bit more control perhaps.  Worlds last a long time, assuming they don't become corrupt.

Don't remember adding immigration limiter button...  seems too nice of me, unless I did something evil afterward, which I don't remember either.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

CogDissident

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 10:18:00 pm »

I find that a few well placed imps tend to burn my people to the ground, if I don't set up isolation-chambers to stop them and manuever a few axe-wielders into combat.

polpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 11:40:00 pm »

my only fort that dissolved or whatever they say at the end was in aplace with ~25 skeletal elephants and some skeletal giant tigers. I tried laying low, but one of the elephants noticed me and charged over adn killed everybody.

But come on people. all these new immigrants means new workers. just set all of them to get food somehow. once in a while I ran into a little bit of trouble with more than 14-15 immigrants at once. but then again I usually have a couple of each kind of food proccessing buildings to make sure there are no raw food bottlenecks

Captain_Action

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 11:58:00 pm »

For awhile, flooding was a destroyer. I would put frogmen, but the fortress mules made VERY short work of them.