Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Beat 'Em Up  (Read 1440 times)

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Beat 'Em Up
« on: March 16, 2012, 12:36:23 pm »

I'm just watching my fey armor smith grab some steel bars (yay) when I see blood and teeth all over the magma forge café. I look at combat reports, and see a member of my crossbow squad is beating up a laborer. with his fists. I then look at the Marksdwarf. He hasn't tantrumed, isn't unhappy, and isn't enemy of the civ. And he has a shield and iron crossbow equipped. He has the thought "He beat somebody recently"

I'm wondering exactly why he attacked, and why he used his fists instead of the butt of his crossbow/bash of a shield. Is he just a delinquent dwarf that should be punished accordingly?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 12:38:03 pm by acetech09 »
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Beat 'Em Up
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 12:43:31 pm »

I'm wondering exactly why he attacked, and why he used his fists instead of the butt of his crossbow/bash of a shield. Is he just a delinquent dwarf that should be punished accordingly?
This should be rewarded with a free shower in his bedroom!

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 12:49:09 pm »

Check your Justice screen.  You probably let a mandate fail, or violated an export restriction.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 12:50:01 pm »

Check the relationships, he probably has a grudge.  It's rare, but if a dwarf is forced to spend time with a grudge and has personality traits like "is prone to rage" or "doesn't handle stress well" then they can flip out.

On one of my earliest forts, I had a mason go awol and start beating up a migrant.  My hunter shot the mason and no justice was ever administered.  And not because I lacked a sheriff, apparently this was legitimate dwarven vigilante justice.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 12:55:21 pm »

My current fortress, in year 3 of it's existance, has a stunning total of 15 grudges so far, spread out over 6 dwarves.
I don't know how I managed that. My dwarves are ecstatic 24/7, and have quite some spare time to make friends, and grudges.

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 01:53:27 pm »

Would beatings be delivered by a soldier that ain't the COTG? My captain of the guard was chilling at the barracks when the beating was going down.

EDIT: He had no grudges either. I checked.

EDIT WHILE I WAS EDITING: I've had a crapton of failed mandates (No, mr. King, I am NOT going to make catapult parts again.) and the COTG has never gone onto a citizen for one before.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.