Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Aquifer Penetration  (Read 5061 times)

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
Re: Aquifer Penetration
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 06:37:17 pm »

edit: updated the post with an ingame picture of the mid level

I use a "ring" method, it takes a bit of wood, and rocks( if you want mechanisms in supports but you'll need to wait for a dwarf caravan for em )   as long as you have a deep enough layer of spoil ( 2 layers) you'll eb able to do this

first make multiple ring formations, all with there own wood supports holding them up by 1 tile, i use arches from the ring to the ground.

in game:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 06:51:57 pm by darklord92 »
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 06:44:10 pm »

you could bring a bunch of stone with your embark wagon. They only cost 3 points per stone. bring 8 of them is enough for 2 supports , 2 levers, and 4 mechanisms to hook everything up

SarZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 07:06:46 pm »

This is THE best guide to penetrate ANY aquifer. If you follow this guide in detail, you will penetrate all aquifers without any problems.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=79224.15

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 08:02:45 pm »

I use a "ring" method, it takes a bit of wood, and rocks( if you want mechanisms in supports but you'll need to wait for a dwarf caravan for em )   as long as you have a deep enough layer of spoil ( 2 layers) you'll eb able to do this
For a more in-depth explanation of this method see here.  It includes before, during, and after shots of the process with multi-level fortress maps.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 11:02:56 pm »

I don't really like the two slit method, too much building and deconstructing of pumps for me. I use this method: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=79224.msg2058307#msg2058307 powered by windmills. But, it needs mechanisms to really work well, so you need to have brought stone with you. Or trade for some at the first caravan, they usually bring some. If I had to rely on dwarf pumping labor, then I'd go with the two slit method.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

mrhanman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2012, 12:45:48 am »

I'm trying to do the two slit method (the one in the spoiler), and the water doesn't seem to be draining down the lower stairs fast enough to get the walls built.  I managed to dig and place two sections nearest the drainage stairs, but nothing else.  Did I miss something?

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2012, 04:00:03 am »

I'm trying to do the two slit method (the one in the spoiler), and the water doesn't seem to be draining down the lower stairs fast enough to get the walls built.  I managed to dig and place two sections nearest the drainage stairs, but nothing else.  Did I miss something?

Sounds like it.  2-slit does not rely on draining down the stairs, it relies on pumping water into the other aquifer slit.

If you've placed two sections according to the instructions, the next section is the hard one-- it relies on diagonal access.  Even if you're doing everything right, expect more cancellations than you did with the previous walls.  (And make sure you always have orthogonal access to the section you're trying to build, rather than diagonal access.  The diagrams were designed for players experienced with DF, and probably could be redesigned to be more newbie friendly.)
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2012, 06:24:19 am »

Definitely could be. I tried it and eventually had to rely on freezing to punch through.

mrhanman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2012, 09:27:37 am »

Woohoo! I got through my first z level!  I have no idea how many there are, but I figured out what I was doing wrong.  Below the level I was trying to wall, I only built one up/down stair per slit.  After I got the other built, it was much easier.  I'm not sure why I thought one was enough, but I suspect it's because there was a picture missing from that step in the post.  Anyway, thanks for everyone's help.

Of course, now I have a new problem.  I can't get my miner to dig out the second tile on one of the slits in the next level.  He had no problem digging out the other two, but on this side, he won't dig.  How do I make him?
Pages: 1 [2]