Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problem with succession fort crash  (Read 1124 times)

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Problem with succession fort crash
« on: April 15, 2012, 04:19:50 am »

Me and two friends are doing a succession fort, and we made it through the first 3 years fine.  Then it was my turn again, and after my turn I sent the save and no one else can load it.  Crashes while loading.  So I played another year, destroyed a bunch of stuff to reduce clutter but it didn't help.  Still crashing on load.

Only thing different in our setups is I'm on win xp 32 bit and they're on vista 64 and windows 7 64.  I'm ready to give up, but I thought I'd ask here if there is some known problem with transferring saves.

We're sending the save file folder only.  Is there some other file we're missing?  or some init file setting that needs to be tweaked?  I'm out of ideas.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with succession fort crash
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 04:35:29 am »

I do not know what is happening. Perhaps you should post this in the help section of the forum where not everyone is obsessed with liquefying their dwarves.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 04:44:07 am »

Post a link to the save here through dffd , maybe someone will try to load it and see if there is something wrong
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 09:52:54 am »

https://binarydeli.aceproject.com/startDownload.asp?k=3dde1ecb&DOCUMENT_ID=4

it's uploaded there.  I was hoping there was some common "gotchas" from other people who have done this.  but I fear it's just something weird my computer did.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 10:02:13 am »

You might need to restart that turn :(
There used to be a bg where if you terminated the game with task manager while a fort was running you might end up with a corrupted save, I'm not sure if it's still around but i haven't had any problems and i do it frequently.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 12:52:25 pm »

I just tried it and it crashes DF for me.  I am running Win 7 64-bit (Professional).
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 12:55:46 pm »

Try a quick test - go back to the previous turn, immediately save and send it to your friends and see if they can still load.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.