Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pumps?  (Read 412 times)

demonator775

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pumps?
« on: March 16, 2012, 02:35:26 pm »

Ok I have been going through the forums on my free time, for one to learn, and two reading half of what is said on here is hilarious. But I have been reading a lot about pumps, and I have no idea what they are or how to use them, or what I could use them for other tahn pumping water or magma for a moat, but I dont even know how to build a moat. If any of you could help me with this it would be greatly appreciated.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pumps?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 02:45:11 pm »

Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Haytrid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 02:56:40 pm »

I need to get around to using pumps also.  I believe a big reason to use them is to pump fresh water for your dwarves to drink?  I've been forcing my dwarves to drink stagnant water though and they don't seem to care so I haven't bothered trying to find them a fresh water source yet.  I still have never found magma yet.  There are youtube videos out there though showing the use of pumps.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 03:03:01 pm »

Pumps do not so much pump water, as destroy water in one tile and create water in another tile, so they clean all contaminants like salt or stagnation. Pumps are an essential part of dwarven water reactors, which can create unlimited power through a quirk of dwarven physics. They are also important in the magma industry, putting magma where you want it. Magma pumped through a pump will fill a reservoir much faster than unpressurized magma. Some people with way too much time on their hands use pumps to create dwarven water computers, which, given a couple years, can actually add two numbers together and display the results on a magma screen. Finally, some people use pumps as a dwarven gymnasium. Working a pump makes dwarves stronger.