Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Okay marksdwarves... please shoot something.  (Read 5062 times)

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Okay marksdwarves... please shoot something.
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 01:22:29 am »

That's the kind of things I would prefer to be fixed well before adding Vampires or anything, alas...  >:(

I had 6 marksdwarves (each with level 3+ in marksmanship) station, half did not carry any bolt, even after quite some time (yes, everything checked, quiver, tons of bolts everywhere to pick up, etc.). They ended up charging an Incubi and clubbing him to death (thanks to the others who made him fall from the sky with a lucky shot).

I'm much more struggling with the bugs or obscure interface than with the monsters in DF. I now remember why I quitted playing last year, and the year before that. Yet I return to the game every year, hopping priorities have been asserted rights (i.e fix the atrocious interface and this kind of obscure bugs). But no.
Oh well, sorry I have to vent this out, and this thread is as good as any other, because anyway it won't be read by the developer probably.  :-X

Addict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 02:31:56 am »

That's the kind of things I would prefer to be fixed well before adding Vampires or anything, alas...  >:(

I had 6 marksdwarves (each with level 3+ in marksmanship) station, half did not carry any bolt, even after quite some time (yes, everything checked, quiver, tons of bolts everywhere to pick up, etc.). They ended up charging an Incubi and clubbing him to death (thanks to the others who made him fall from the sky with a lucky shot).

I'm much more struggling with the bugs or obscure interface than with the monsters in DF. I now remember why I quitted playing last year, and the year before that. Yet I return to the game every year, hopping priorities have been asserted rights (i.e fix the atrocious interface and this kind of obscure bugs). But no.
Oh well, sorry I have to vent this out, and this thread is as good as any other, because anyway it won't be read by the developer probably.  :-X

the good news, my friend, is that he is working on them now. Starting with the highest priorities (in his mind) and working up.
Don't fret, a good programmer knows where best to put his priorities. I speak from experience.
The best choice of restraint is therefore a good strong metal chain. A high-quality chain will also let the prisoner admire it, giving him a boost to his happiness.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 03:56:29 am »

I can only hope his priorities will be on interface now. I'll believe in that when I see the new change log, but I have doubts. Man, you can't even know for sure if an armour you select for a particular dwarf is not already on another (except by forbidding it), is it that hard to add indicators? Or you can't know if a chained animal is a female or a male, without some contortions and interface struggling. And this is just two examples amongst zillions.

ps: I'm a dev too, in databases.  :o

Addict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2012, 05:46:47 am »

Nicee.
well Game development is a tricky beast.
If you aren't completely 100% on the entire layout of the entire game from square 1, than you can't truly make it according to plan. In my experience its impossible to fully plan a game out, its got too many artistic characteristics to be that logical.
Thus you've got wires crossing wires, functions activating functions, messing with one line here and you have to change everything over there. x )

But I think his priority right now is a clean sweep over whats currently been done. Smoothing it out persay.
Even if thats not the case, hes still working on it, and its very fun. I'm glad for that.

Btw, I'm having the same issue with my marksdwarfs. They simply won't train. Its really frustrating. The rest of my military is doing individual combat drills too, thats all they ever do, and their experience is going up so slowly I don't think they've gained any skill at all. Good thing I have a lava moat.
The best choice of restraint is therefore a good strong metal chain. A high-quality chain will also let the prisoner admire it, giving him a boost to his happiness.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 07:46:52 am »

if you've got the bug with ammunition not being recognized, I've found that dwarves will always recognize new ammunition that you make.  Making bolts out of trees isn't so bad, 1 log = 25 bolts, 2 logs for fuel = 25 metal bolts, or 25 bronze if smelted correctly, so in short order you can usually produce enough ammo to get everyone armed.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 01:05:01 pm »

Btw, I'm having the same issue with my marksdwarfs. They simply won't train. Its really frustrating. The rest of my military is doing individual combat drills too, thats all they ever do, and their experience is going up so slowly I don't think they've gained any skill at all. Good thing I have a lava moat.

I have one attached to a flowing river, with traps on both sides. The only thing that bothers to siege me are humans though, and they like to stay at the edge of the map... I should look into building tower outposts connected underground.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 11:31:36 pm »

Slothen, the problem is they do recognize the bolts appearing as (bolt) with a checkmark beside the name in ammo designation. Its a oddity, assigned but at the same time forbidden in a weird way. In this case the bolts have to be destroyed, or reclaimed in order for a archer to load new bolts to practice with, or use for combat. This is the reason some archers never practice. They are assigned bolts they can never pick up and use. Bolts previously assigned to earlier hunters takes a tiny bit more micromanagement to be allowed for reuse. The main point being is that you have bolts assigned to a archer squad, they never use, (bolt), ( x bolts)is the problem, plus assiigning archers to squads under active schedule, which by default they have orders to train every month
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2012, 02:01:37 am »

how can you destroy bolts?

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2012, 05:44:37 am »

What if you do a quantum stockpile?  Set a Garbage dump zone near the training site. Go into the stocks screen and unforbid and dump all ammunition. (Optionally, go to the surface and mass undump with d-b-D so they don't go looking for used goblin bolts.) Go to the military ammunition screen and unassign all ammo. Unpause the game and wait for everything to get hauled. Once its done, make sure all ammo is forbidden from the stocks screen, then do a blanket reclaim (d-b-c) on the garbage zone and remove the garbage zone. Then reassign ammo in the military ammunition screen again.

Edges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2012, 03:38:19 pm »

I feel you.

In my last couple of forts, my DF experience basically devolved into full-time-trying-to-get-"marksdwarves"-to-train. Sometimes it would work for a little while but usually it was just frustration. So I gave up and stuck with legendary melee dwarves.

Then came flying invaders. :(

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2012, 06:50:49 pm »

Melting a metal bolt or atomsmashing a wooden/bone bolt is the only way to permanently remove it from stocks. This bug seems to be a leftover from the old armorer bug. Once thats done, the the archer that fired that bolt will be happy, and start gathering ammo again.  Or you can wait for a kobold to steal it and take it off map.:)
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration
Pages: 1 [2]