Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Help with starting skills/equipment  (Read 3733 times)

Janne Joensuu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help with starting skills/equipment
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2006, 05:37:00 pm »

I must say I was insanely lucky on my first game, the only one thus far, which still goes strongly.

First, I chose random travel, and had quite a starting group. Three useless skill-men in the beginning (jeweler?! or a metalsmith without ability to build a forge!)

I have had at least 60+ food since the first autumn. Including the winters. I like those two fisherdwarves. Especially the female who likes cats, who adopted cat in the very beginning, whose cat has had lots of kittens, and who currently must have a dozen kittens and cats - there is at least another dozen wandering around. Shortly after the first immigrants came (from 8 to 17) I reached 100 food and have had that since. I just found the river, and a new spring is coming.

Also, because I didn't get help from '?' and only later discovered I could use '*' instead, I played without any idea about what I can do. As an example, I had lots of problems in the beginning because I couldn't do a well. I didn't have stone blocks. I did have a mason, but no stone to make stone blocks out of. Then I realized the stone wall next to me WASN'T the boundary of the playfield, but the playfield itself!

[ August 14, 2006: Message edited by: Janne Joensuu ]

Janne )`*

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2006, 06:48:00 pm »

Whoa, whoa, whoa, your first fort succeeded?

You must have some sort of mysterious powers.  That's the only logical explanation.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Janne Joensuu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2006, 08:21:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by JT:
<STRONG>Whoa, whoa, whoa, your first fort succeeded?

You must have some sort of mysterious powers.  That's the only logical explanation.</STRONG>

Yeah, it is pretty weird after having read all the horror stories in here. I'm not taking any chances of ruining it, and am trying farming and floods and such in another world and fort entirely.

Speaking of my fort again - I found the river as a waterfall. The river flooded without it being connected to my caverns at all. My fort wasn't flooded. This is good, right?

Janne )`*

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2006, 08:48:00 am »

I'm finding it helpful to have my mason and carpenter at proficient as well. It might be a bit overboard, how much they like their exquisite doors and such. How exquisite can a door get, anyway? I guess engravings and such could add interest, but I think there should be a limit to how much can be done to it in the short time it takes to make them. Maybe you could set different levels of detail for the mason to work towards? Then if a novice mason tried a masterpiece door, you'd get an ugly monstrosity that would make the little guys drive the poor fellow out of the fort in horror. [/offtopicness]

I usually boost one or two value skills, as well, like jeweling and stone crafting, just to get something valuable for the first traders that come by. It's probably more efficient to buy plump helmets and get everyone farming quickly, but I guess I like being able to use the gem types I added right away.

Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2006, 02:26:00 pm »

There's a bloat lying around somewhere for "shoddy" items.  So if you have somebody with zero skill attempt something, it could be total crap.  Like a crossbow that fires the bolt backwards, or a door that doesn't work correctly.  I'm sure this would be a friendly feature for the new users especially.

edit:  of course, a skilled marksdwarf wouldn't use the crossbow.  but a recruit might -- like one of those 80s movie backward rocket launcher scenes, coupled with a projectile face removal from adventure mode.  Also suggestive of an intelligence attribute being added.

[ August 15, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2006, 04:56:00 pm »

"WARNING: Do not aim at face" is a playful nod to the Jagged Alliance 2 v1.13 mod, which proudly displays this helpful warning on its rocket launchers.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2006, 09:34:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Eagleon:
<STRONG>How exquisite can a door get, anyway?</STRONG>
Imagine the door to Moria in LotR or something like that.  The 'main' door is the first thing people see when coming into your fortress, and likely your structure's first line of defense against outside invaders, so it stands to reason that it would get more work put into it than virtually any other piece of furniture in your fortress.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One
Pages: 1 2 [3]