Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A map editor?  (Read 907 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
A map editor?
« on: February 18, 2013, 05:50:05 pm »

That would seem fairly strange, for a game like Dwarf Fortress, to not have one at this point - you might be saying that "but that's what the game is!" - Minecraft, Terraria and the like are also sandbox-type games, and yet there's a number of map editors, or in-game way of building that kind of stuff easily, without worrying about materials.

I know that it might defeat the point of most megaprojects - you might say so - but I'd say it would only open up that many more possibilities regarding those.
And not only.

Would something like this be possible at some point in the hopefully-near future?
Think about it - you know you want it.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: A map editor?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 06:08:54 pm »

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:MAKE_WHITE_BLOCKS_FROM_NOTHING]
[NAME:make white blocks]
[BUILDING:CRAFSTMAN:CUSTOM_SHIFT_W]
[PRODUCT:100:25:BLOCKS:NONE:INORGANIC:MARBLE]

[REACTION:MAKE_YELLOW_BLOCKS_FROM_NOTHING]
[NAME:make yellow blocks]
[BUILDING:CRAFSTMAN:CUSTOM_SHIFT_Y]
[PRODUCT:100:25:BLOCKS:NONE:INORGANIC:BRIMSTONE]

etc

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 06:10:16 pm »

Don't forget to permit those reactions in the entity file

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 06:16:12 pm »

You'll have to make some more for more colors, but that shouldn't be too hard. Cobaltite for dark blue, cinnabar for light red, bauxite for dark red, olivine for brown, jet for dark gray, rose gold (!!) for light magenta, garnierite for light green, malachite (IIRC) for dark green, orthoclase for yellow, microcline for light cyan, etc.

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 04:35:48 pm »

Cheat reactions like Putnam posted, making stone blocks of the colors you want.

Then open DF hack and enable fastdwarf (or edit your raws to give dwarves SPEED:0)

Build your big projects in the blink of an eye.

DF hack has some limited capability to edit your terrain, by adding or removing liquids.  By digging channels and using DF liquids you can create your own rivers and waterfalls in your embark (or lava rivers and magmafalls).  Using the water and lava abilities of DF liquids also lets you build obsidian layers on your maps.

As far as an in-game terrain editor that lets you add new soil layers and whatnot, I don't foresee that as a near-term possibility.  Though maybe those who are better at memory hacking DF could figure it out.

Aerval

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 05:58:18 pm »

I always used tiletypes (and some other tools like expawnts skytool) for painting castles and cities. Works pretty good when get used to tiletypes