Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A tweak to werebeast survival odds  (Read 1559 times)

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A tweak to werebeast survival odds
« on: March 27, 2012, 09:56:30 am »

One of the weirdest things about the new worldgen is how it always ends up giving us the weirdest werecreatures. Even when you put the number of werebeasts up absurdly, it seems that only the stupidest werecreatures are generated/survive worldgen. Being a werelizard is actually a detriment to most adventurers beyond a certain point (besides the limb regen), in fact, that goes for just about every werebeast I've seen, except maybe the werebear and werelephant I found in my last world.

While PHAIL werebeasts shouldn't be nonexistant, I do think the odds should favor predatory creatures a bit more, either in terms of survival or in terms of worldgen precedence.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A tweak to werebeast survival odds
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 01:16:02 pm »

You lost me at, "other than the ability to regenerate limbs, which is unavailable anywhere else in the game"
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 09:11:17 pm »

It seems the game likes to generate the same werebeasts over and over again, avoiding others.  I have werecougars, but only by using uplift generator on cougars, the game itself refuses to produce them.

You lost me at, "other than the ability to regenerate limbs, which is unavailable anywhere else in the game"

It's available on other werecreatures than werelizards, some of which are better suited to combat.  In my experience werehogs beat most other werecreatures(In the arena), but werebears and wereelephants are good too.
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 12:25:25 am »

Weremammoths <3
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 09:48:55 am »

Ah, and here I was hoping lizards regenerated.

In any event, I see what you're saying, but why bother relying on random generation if you just want a godly adventurer?  Just mod in a civ entry or a creature with a syndrome that gives you all the goodies you want?
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 05:37:13 pm »

It's not just about having a powerful adventurer: Many werebeasts are a joke in Fortress mOde if you have war animals or marksdwarves, and rarely are a challenge in adventurer mode even on the night of the full moon.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.