Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Catching Building Destroyers?  (Read 726 times)

Willadie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Catching Building Destroyers?
« on: March 17, 2012, 03:37:47 am »

Hey, I've got a few questions about BD's (Building Destroyers). For the past few forts I have made I've always tried to safely catch a cavern layer 1 creatures, but to no avail. My main goal was a GCS, but I am always open for other useful ones such as a cave croc. The traps I've used are setup where a wooden object (Let's say a door) is placed in a squarish room, with a corridor leading to the cave and two bridges, one for my fort and the other to the cave, to block off access if In need to modify things. But the thing is, the BD's aren't going for the trap. They just stay motion less when I open the bridge to the trap room. The wiki states on the GCS page that "any giant cave spider (or giant toad, giant olm, cave crocodile, etc.) that enters the caverns will immediately charge toward it and be captured." on the subject of the trap. Anyways, any help/advice on this? P.s Heres my trap 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
Re: Catching Building Destroyers?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 03:46:19 am »

Think it needs to see it, also try a chair

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Willadie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 03:52:23 am »

Okay, I think I am probably going to try to pierce layer 2 or 3, and end up make a new trap. This time I am going to make a flat-ish fortification wall towards the cavern and hook up bridges to block them in case a GCS decides to shoot in while working on it.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 03:54:00 am »

GCS tend to ignore buildings unless they're close.  Wiki, in my experience, is misleading in terms of GCS aggressiveness.  They're more likely to leave the map than make it to your trap.  Placing multiple traps in various locations may be wise.

Not familiar with your tileset, but if the green things are traps, they're not placed correctly.   GCS will strike from 2 tiles away (if your X is a door or whatever), not 3 or 4 tiles away.  Of course, that's fine, because they'll have to travel through your traps to make it to 2 tiles away, but if you want to place more traps more easily....

I believe that it's probably easier, in this version, to catch a webbing FB than a GCS.  GCS have always been hard to trap.  FBs have a relentless quality that makes trapping easier.  (FBs will pursue buildings from any distance, for instance.)  Webber FBs don't have the same monetary value, but otherwise, they can do the same thing-- use them to cage trap clowns, for instance.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 04:49:19 am »

I was surprised to see my GCS charge towards my fortress, into my cage trap only a few moments after removing the walls that sealed off the 1st cavern. I was getting used to them walking off the map indeed, instead of into my trap. It was too far off to have seen my dwarf removing the wall, it really charged towards the entrance on it's own account.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 06:05:35 am »

One time I had a cave going from the surface to the caverns and it was spitting out a more or less continuous stream of crundles, torglodites, blind cave trolls and even a rutherer once. All seemed very determined to escape the deeps and reach the surface.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 06:37:50 am »

Well, if you make sure that going via the surface is the quickest path off the map, I suppose cave creatures would take that path when deciding to leave the map
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479