Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Skin for tanning  (Read 1076 times)

Conan

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm running out of stone!
    • View Profile
Skin for tanning
« on: July 05, 2012, 09:36:20 pm »

I've been structuring my military lately, and since my embark doesn't seem to have metals I've chosen to go the leather route. However, there seems to be a severe lack of skins to tan.

I tried slaughtering a few animals like full-grown Yak Cow, but even then they don't seem to leave a skin item. Does "Tan a raw hide" occur automatically? Is there a list of animals which will give a raw hide with TAN_MAT enabled?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Skin for tanning
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 09:41:05 pm »

Tanning a raw hide will occur automatically assuming you have the workshop, an idle dwarf with the tanning labor, and you haven't told the game not to do it in the (o)rders menu.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Conan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 09:55:06 pm »

Sounds good. Any idea how much skin a typical Yak Cow/medium sized animal produces?

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 10:00:29 pm »

Sounds good. Any idea how much skin a typical Yak Cow/medium sized animal produces?
just 1 per creature, yes, you can craft the same body armour slaughtering a cat or an elephant, they both will drop a raw skin item, that can be made into 1 leather item...

Conan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 10:03:26 pm »

well that sucks because I need a lot D:

guess I'll just trade for my armor then. Unless anyone has a way to mass-harvest leather/poultry

Conan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 10:05:09 pm »

On another note, are werebeast scratches infectious? Got a wereiguana here that's choking/scratching/kicking its victims, but no bites visible in the combat log.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 10:23:23 pm »

On another note, are werebeast scratches infectious? Got a wereiguana here that's choking/scratching/kicking its victims, but no bites visible in the combat log.
Only bites are contagious, everything else is harmful, but won't turn them into a were beast.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 12:34:42 am »

You can buy a lot of leather from the caravans, even more if you order more.

Cosider Turkey/Pig/Cat/Dog-Farming. They all give leather and don't need a pasture.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 02:17:40 am »

I prefer blue peafowl for bird-based leather.  Turkeys are champion egg producers, and meat-laden if you're patient, but they take longer to mature.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.