Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Immigrants importing artifacts?  (Read 712 times)

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
Immigrants importing artifacts?
« on: March 13, 2012, 02:09:05 pm »

So, my new militia-commander arrived carrying Onulgåkîz, the red spinel flask. I recall it from an earlier fort, but I haven't checked it in legends yet. I had no idea that could happen. So, yeah - just thought I'd share. Seems to me that the theoretical possibility of artifact adamantine axes coming in with the first immigrant wave might be of interest to certain forumites.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Immigrants importing artifacts?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 02:15:27 pm »

That's interesting.  I thought I'd read something about previous fort members being able to immigrate to new forts, but if they carry any or all of their stuff, that would possibly be one way to beef up a fledgling fort.  Get one fort up to a decent stock of high quality (optionally adamantine) weapons and armor.  Draft everyone, give them the good stuff and abandon.

Of course, that depends on how much, if any, of their previously held gear goes with them (might be random?  might not even be related to direct ownership?), and on the probability of getting previous fort dwarves versus other historical figures.

If only artifacts can be carried over like that, you'd probably end up with wooden axes and adamantine hammers, of course, instead of what you wanted.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

olopi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Immigrants importing artifacts?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 02:37:12 pm »

I think this !Feature! is well known, but watch out: If certain !Fun! happens your dwarf will do some !Sience! on how to bash his comerade's skulls
Dwarves use their beards to influence the adamantite to change form. A dwarves beard is specialized in his job, therefore a legendary miner has a much better mining beard then a legendary weaponsmith, who has a beard that influences metals to make armor much more.
This also explains why dwarves can have a city on just a soap pillar, the beard of the soapmaking dwarf causes the soap to become rigid.